Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 15, 2006, 5:47 PM   #1

I need a point and shoot type digital to shoot dog sports in action ... my current olympus D580 doesn't do it ...
minnieusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 15, 2006, 6:10 PM   #2

Well certainly the Canon G-6 with an F 2.0 lens is a good possibility, but its max ISO setting is only ISO 400. You might want to look at the Fuji S-5200 or the S-9000 that have ISO settings up to a maximum of ISO 1600.

If you can wait 60 to 90 day the Fuji F-30 offering a maximum ISO setting of ISO 3200 will also be available. Please tell us more specifically about your needs? Do you need a lot of zoom? Or will just the normal 3X optical zoom be sufficient?

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2006, 6:50 PM   #3

my dog is in flyball ... a sport where they are running at full tilt over hurdles. 3x is enough; when I take with the d-580 the photos are blurry and I catch the tailend of the dog
Old Feb 15, 2006, 9:33 PM   #4

minnie-

Can Flash be used?

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2006, 9:35 PM   #5

you mean using forced flash outdoors
Old Feb 15, 2006, 9:57 PM   #6

If 3X is enough you might consider the Fuji F10 or F11 if you aren't in the US. Many Fuji cameras offer high ISO but the image deteriorates over ISO400. The F10 is the only current camera that does well at ISO800 and is tolerable at ISO 1600.

One problem with the F10 is that it has no optical viewfinder, which makes it hard to quickly acquire and follow action when zoomed. The LCD isn't great in bright sunlight either. But it is about the only camera I can think of that would get those shots. You would want to pre-focus on the hurdle to avoid shutter lag or maybe learn to pan and follow through.

A camera with a powerful external flash might work, but in bright sunlight you would likely get ghosts unless it will let you sync at a very high speed. You would then effectively be taking the picture almost completely with the flash so backgrounds wouldn't be great.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote