Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 19, 2006, 8:47 AM   #1

which one? I will be doing a lot of indoor photography, Acoustic Guitars and people but I also would love to do outdoor stuff including animals. The three I have it narrowed down to are : A610, A620 or the S2 IS. I know quite a bit about each camera from all the reading I have been doing. Which would be best for the indoor stuff? My concern with the S2 IS is I have read or heard or something that it has Issues above ISO 200. NOISE. Is this true? The A620 is 7.1 Megapixel vs. the A610 at 5 Megapixels. That is the only difference between the two. Well that and the A610 is a little faster for rapid shooting but not much. What do you think? I have to commit today.
Compurocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 19, 2006, 9:13 AM   #2

Compurocker wrote:
Quote:
My concern with the S2 IS is I have read or heard or something that it has Issues above ISO 200. NOISE. Is this true?
Almost every P&S has issues with noise above ISO 200. If you want good ISO performance, you would need a DSLR, like the Rebel XT.

If you need the small size of the A610/620, they would be best.

If you can deal with the larger size, though, the S2IS is better.
Homer J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2006, 9:18 AM   #3

Homer J or anyone else would you say the A620 would be better than the A610? Would the extra megapixels make a difference in 8x10 and below? Also the S2 Is is 5 megapixels compared to the A620's 7.1... I know the S2 has that super long zoom but which of these cameras would do best say photographing Acoustic Guitars indoors?
Old Feb 19, 2006, 9:39 AM   #4

Like Homer told you....a point and shoot camera will have it`s limitations ....from ISO200 and above ,noise will be a big problem.

What is your budget ? if you would be ready to spent a little more i would strongly suggest you buy a DSLR.

The Canon XT rebel is really good but you could get a Nikon D50 for quite a lot less.

My Nikon D50 with a 50mm 1.8D lense cost me just under 600 euro.....This camera can shoot very good pictures right up to ISO1600.

If you do decide to buy a DSLR,the thing is don`t buy it with the kit lens but with a very bright standard lens (like the 50mm 1.8)
guillermovilas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2006, 10:22 AM   #5

I definitely want a DSLR but right now money is tight so I am going to go with the Canon A620. I figure it will be nice to have the 7.1 Megapixels for cropping issues. Later on I will invest in a Rebel XT.
Old Feb 19, 2006, 11:41 AM   #6

guillermovilas, what made you buy the Nikon D50 over Canon Rebel XT ?
Idan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2006, 12:27 PM   #7

If you're on a budget and want the best high ISO, low light performance, I'd don't believe any non-dslr comes close to Fuji, especially in the F10/11 (and soon to be F30 with ISO 3200) series.
TLB39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2006, 1:57 PM   #8

Thanks for all your help/advice. I'll weigh out my options now and make an informed decision. Maybe I'll wait to see what Canon anounces in a couple of days. We'll see. :love:
Old Feb 19, 2006, 3:52 PM   #9

What made me choose the Nikon D50 from the Canon 350D :

I didn`t like the feel.....too small ...the finger doesn`t come naturally on the shutter button especially if you have big fingers like i do....a lot of people have the same issue about this camera and it`s very often the only reason why they go for the Nikon apart from that it`s a fantastic DSLR which delivers slightly better pics then the Nikon does.

I did find the ergonomy factor more important then the very slight improvement quality ona A4 print size.

The other reason was that it costs 200 euro less then the Canon.

The new 18-200mm VR Nikon lens was also a very good reason.....i was looking for a top quality allround lens and Canon don`t have it.
guillermovilas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2006, 3:00 PM   #10

This place near me has the A620 for just $10 more than the A610. I guess that is a no brainer. I'll take the A620. They only have one left so instead of lose out I will get it and IF there is a big anouncement like an A700 with more zoom and ISO or an S3 IS with a bigger Sensor I can return it if the new releases will be available very soon. I like the fact the A 610/620 Sensor is bigger than the sensor in the S2 IS and the A620 has more megapixels. When I need a zoom I'll move on to an DSLR and keep the A620 too. We'll see!