Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 21, 2006, 10:27 AM   #11
E.T

thebac wrote:
Quote:
I'll admit to never using any of those 8MP cameras, but there's a reason the 2/3" CCD design has since been abandoned.
Yeah, too big sensor size for allowing those media sexy long teles or very small pocket cameras... also physically bigger sensor costs more to manufacture than cramming those megapixels to smaller sensor and using more noise reduction... cameras using that sensor haven't used even half advanced noise removing compared to what these smaller sensor cameras use. (high ISO capability of Fujis comes equally much from exceptional noise removing processing as from sensor)

Here's best real life images for comparison what I found:
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PROD.../A2FARI400.HTM
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PROD...S/G2FAR400.HTM

JimC wrote:
Quote:
If existing light is a big concern, I'd give serious consideraton to a DSLR (these will have much better control of noise as ISO speeds are increased, mostly because their sensors are much larger
Bigger sensor size is only reason for better high ISO of DSLRs... if pixel's light gathering area is ~ten times that of high MP small sensor point&shoot there really isn't much need for other tricks.

enriccoplazzo wrote:
Quote:
What i'd really like is a smaller G2 ... as well as creative control.
That's only possible if you count surfing inside menus as creativity.

But thing missing here is what you photograph?
Because that affects greatly to what you need, for low light moving targets high ISO capability with bright lens is only way while for stationary targets like architecture and landscapes image stabilization works really well. (of course having both would be best)
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2006, 10:35 AM   #12
Administrator

E.T wrote:
Quote:
Bigger sensor size is only reason for better high ISO of DSLRs... if pixel's light gathering area is ~ten times that of high MP small sensor point&shoot there really isn't much need for other tricks
It's certainly the main reason. But, it's not the only thing that impacts noise. For example, advances are being made in areas like microlens design to help amplify the light hitting individual photosites in sensors. Even AA filter design can impact light reaching a sensor.

You may also see differences between how the signal is being amplified and sampled, with cleaner results due to better designed sensors and supportng components with lower dark current noise levels.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote