Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 19, 2006, 12:42 PM   #1

I need a replacement for my CANON G2 4mp. I'd like something with;

- a little less lag

- maybe a little smaller (would be nice)

- ***MOST IMPORTANTLY*** I would like to improve my picture quality in AUTO mode while still having ability to control creativity when i want.

Cameras i'm considerg are - CANON A620, CANON S80, Sony DSC W7 but i'm not sure any of these are an upgrade.

ALso considering; NIKON D50, REBEL XT but really dont want to lug a DSLR around if i can get good quality with a smaller camera.

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR HELP!!!
enriccoplazzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 19, 2006, 3:43 PM   #2
E.T

enriccoplazzo wrote:
Quote:
Cameras i'm considerg are - CANON A620, CANON S80, Sony DSC W7 but i'm not sure any of these are an upgrade.
Those are serious downgrade when it comes to control possibilities, and all except S80 actually have worser wide angle. (pretty much all big zoom number cameras have worser wide angle)

And less controls applies always when size gets smaller.

If you don't need good low light capability or very high burst speed/focusing to even moving target and ultimate versatility I wouldn't see much benefit in going for DSLR, and those have disadvantages in other areas like weight, convenience and such. (+current digicams can take really nice video clips)
Especially if you throw away fits-to-pocket size limit you can get really much in one convenient package without going to DSLRs.

Like for example KonicaMinolta A200
http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/mi...e_a200-review/
You won't easily match stabilized 28-200mm F2.8-3.5 zoom range even in DSLRs.

Here's something about what good non-SLR digicam can give.
http://www.neocamera.com/feature_dslr.html
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...location.shtml
A200 is A2's "successor" with slightly smaller size (less corners) and generally made more for Point&Shoot, but controls are still in top class and as good as best prosumers, being left behind only by predecessors A1&A2.

When I was looking for my first ever camera I considered Canon G3 because of good features especially considering size but ended to Minolta 7i because of some of the most widest available controls, better reach in both wide angle and tele and manual/mechanical zoom instead of button zoom and year ago I bought KonicaMinolta A2 and wouldn't even look to smaller cameras, lot of features/good controls so that those work well are quite incompatible with small size.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2006, 4:55 PM   #3

Thank you for the input and readings...
Old Feb 19, 2006, 5:18 PM   #4

if your going to consider an A200 Id suggest looking at a dSLR too... thanks for that link ET, the image quality of the dSLR is substantially better than the A200 and that would be the deciding factor for me.

To the OP... If you want a pocketable camera the S80 is very nice indeed, Id also take a look at the Panasonic Lx1 which is also quite nice
audioedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2006, 6:28 PM   #5

If you can, go with a Rebel XT or 20D. Both have different features. the 20D has better performanceand build (Rebel XT is plastic) , but the Rebel XT is very small and weighs and costs less. On both of them the 17-85mm EF-S lens is a great choice.

But if you don't want a DSLR, maybe you should look at the G6. Canon might announce the G7 at PMA too, so that might be another camera to look into, and would also cause the G6 to go down in price.

The best of the cameras you are considering is the Canon Powershot S80.

Homer J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2006, 10:41 PM   #6

Again thank you!!
Old Feb 19, 2006, 11:07 PM   #7

I own the G2 myself (it doesn't get much use these days, though), and honestly, it's hard to surpass its picture quality in the non-DSLR world. I suspect that that the camera closest to it are the A610/A620 and S80. What they lack compared to the G2:
-hotshoe
-swivel LCD (S80)
-RAW capability

Otherwise, I believe that they equal or better the G2 in features (the A6xx lose 1mm at the wide angle setting, a negligible amount, while the S80 is better in that regard). More importantly, they operate much faster than the G2 does (and the much superior video recording capability is an extra plus).

However, for noise capability, save for the sensor in the F10/F11/F30, the sensors from that generation (of the G2) are fairly low in noise compared to the much higher MP offerings of today. In addition, the G2 has a fairly good lens, which is also very bright, as its max aperture is still f/2.5 at the tele setting--most lenses start at f/2.8 at wide angle.

If you value picture quality more than the gain in speed, I'd also look at the G6 (which is being discontinued).

I'd stay away from the DSC-W7, which is supposed to operate very fast and produces good pictures, but also offers very limited manual controls. If you're looking at the Sony line, look at the older DSC-V3, a direct competitor to the G6.

I'm not sure if I'd go for an A2/A200. It's about as feature-rich a non-DSLR as there is, but it's not smaller than a G2, and it's not really as fast as today's cameras. I'll admit to never using any of those 8MP cameras, but there's a reason the 2/3" CCD design has since been abandoned.

If you want something smaller, and you won't miss the swiveling LCD, I'd look at the S80 (I still use an S30 and S45 as my carry-around camera--there's a reason the Sxx series was considered "G-lite"). Otherwise, take a look at the A6xx.

If you want to use RAW, you'll have to look elsewhere. If you change your mind about size, do take a look at DSLR's, where there are a few options now where a decent setup costs you less than $1,000 (including wide to normal zoom, tele zoom, flash, plus some accessories)
thebac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2006, 10:24 AM   #8

This is great info, thanks!!
Old Feb 20, 2006, 10:40 AM   #9
Administrator

One thing to keep in mind when camera shopping, is that the lens on your Canon G2 is twice as bright at it's wide end compared to any of the non-DSLR cameras mentioned so far (and that goes for most cameras you'll find).

It's got a maximum aperture of f/2 available on it's wide end, allowing shutter speeds twice as fast as a model with a maximum aperture of f/2.8 (f/2 is twice as bright as f/2.8 ) for the same lighting and ISO speed.

The difference (in favor of your G2) is even greater as you zoom in more compared to most models (since it only drops off to f/2.5 on it's long end, where most models drop off to a maximum available aperture of around f/4.9).

Noise as ISO speeds from the sensor in your G2 is probably going to be lower as ISO speeds are increased compared to many newer camera models, too. That's because the photosites for each pixel are larger and able to gather more light, compared to the photosites in higher resolution models with smaller sensors. But, in camera noise reduction in newer cameras can help mask their noise performance (at the expense of some detail).

There is little doubt that many newer models can have better performance (AF speed, cycle times, etc.), and image processing algorithms have improved. But, if you plan on using a camera in less than optimum lighting without a flash or tripod, your G2 is going to be better than most newer compact models, allowing faster shutter speeds to help prevent blur from camera shake or subject movement, thanks to it's brighter lens.

If existing light is a big concern, I'd give serious consideraton to a DSLR (these will have much better control of noise as ISO speeds are increased, mostly because their sensors are much larger compared to non-DSLR models). But, you'd need to make sure you're using bright enough lenses for the conditions you're shooting in (otherwise, you'll be giving up some of the advantages of higher ISO speeds).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2006, 3:42 PM   #10

Jim thank you for your expertise/knowledge. I see now the cameras i've considered will probablynot suffice.

(Anyone) Is there a camera that will perform as well as my G2 without going to DSLR?

What i'd really like is a smaller G2 with faster AF, faster processing, more resolution GREAT auto mode as well as creative control. (and still the great photos my G2 produces) (Two cameras is not really an option because i know i will never be able to leave the better one at home!)

I appreciate anyone who takes the time to help.