Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 19, 2006, 8:01 PM   #1

I'm torn between the canon s2 and the sony h1. I like the video capabilites better in the canon but I like the sony-it feels better in my hand. Or do I wait until the show at the end of this month and scope out something even newer? I would hate to plop down my money now only to have the next up and coming great thing miss me by a couple of weeks? What to do?
bucky0926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 20, 2006, 2:39 AM   #2
E.T

Unless you have hurry I wouldn't see disadvantages in waiting few weeks.

And more important than big zoom number is what you photograph? If you take landscapes, architecture and such super zooms are bad choises.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2006, 5:14 PM   #3

bucky0926 wrote:
Quote:
I'm torn between the canon s2 and the sony h1. I like the video capabilites better in the canon but I like the sony-it feels better in my hand. Or do I wait until the show at the end of this month and scope out something even newer? I would hate to plop down my money now only to have the next up and coming great thing miss me by a couple of weeks? What to do?
I'm in the same predicament

I was looking into the FZ5 and then the FZ7 came along. I have read the reviews for the FZ7 and although, as far as features are concerned, the FZ7 tops the FZ5, they still have not improved on the "noise" problem.

So I was looking again at the Sony H1. DP Reviews described this as the "near perfect super zoom" albeit a couple of teething problems(Sony's 1st attempt into the Super zoom category), with regards to some "purple fringing".

I believe that Sony are bringing out a H2 and H5 in May. If they have sorted out the couple of "minor" problems, this could beup there with the best super zoom's.

So I have "bit the bullet" and decided to wait until May.

Ihave heard that itis going to have aCZ lens

Predator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2006, 6:43 PM   #4

As a personal preferance I chose the S2 over Sony for these main reasons:

- video is better on the S2

- color is better on the S2 (most of the new sonys .. comparing to my older Sony) are washed out on color.. Post pross.. is almost always ness. to get the same results.

- swivel lcd (my favorite camera feature).. get awesome angled shots and protects the lcd

- the S2 felt better in MY hands
vwmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2006, 8:10 PM   #5

The S3 IS will be out in May.
Compurocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2006, 8:23 PM   #6

However, the changes made to create the S-3 were MINIMAL+a paintjob. Not a HUGE change.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2006, 5:35 PM   #7

I used the kodak p850 andF z5 before finally deciding on the s2. I shoot nature shots and preferred the overall speed and handling of the s2. I might have waited for the s3 had I known it was on the way. But everything from excellent macro shots to moon shotsarefinely focused when I am using the camera properly. Existing indoor low light photos still need a tripod since the photos become grainy past iso 200.
zip37602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2006, 8:04 PM   #8

The S3 is a great camera, but there are other cameras out there worthy of consideration. The 5.1 MP Fuji FinePix S5200 is a very capable Ultra-Zoom with an excellent lens, outstanding low-light capability, robust build-quality and feel, and all at an exceptional price point. It produces high resolution pictures with excellent color accuracy and it's high ISO settings will allow motion-stopping shutter speeds. So far, I've been very impressed with mine.

toshi43 is offline   Reply With Quote