Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 22, 2006, 8:41 PM   #11

Sorry it took so long to get back to you, but I was trying to cool off my hard drive following an exhaustive search! Trying to keep my search within the compact format, recent technology, sticking with proven name brands, and recommending only those cameras which received favorable professional reviews, and having no more than a 28 mm wide angle turned up only a couple of cams. However, since they tested quite noisy at ISO 400, and their shutter lag and shot cycle time were quite slow, I think you would be better served by waiting for the F30. Although there have been no professional reviews released on the F30, it is an upgrade of proven technology, and a successor to the F10 and F11, with upgraded features and performance.

Regarding the MP thing, basically, more MP does not mean better pictures. Given two identically sized sensors, the cam with more MP's will generally exhibit more noise. The F30 has a larger sensor than the N1, and fewer MP's, therefore will have a cleaner picture.

By the way Chris, the US Fuji site does have info on the F30, as well as a downloadable brochure.

http://www.fujifilm.com

I have not researched the latest announced compacts...I think I will leave that for you, so I can nurse my stressed HD.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2006, 10:54 PM   #12

Hi there, remember me??

Lens Focal Length (Rated) / (35mm Equiv.)

8.0 - 24.9mm (36-128mm on a 35mm camera)
IS what it says on the Data & specs sheet FROM the site u sent me to, Fuji-USA. {The one I went to was Fuji-UK}. I am happy with that range.

BUTTTTTTTT on its Brochure it says" f8.0 - 24.0mm (36-108mm on a 35mm camera)" That is a big difference 20mm of zoom. Wouldn't you agree??

By the way, what the hec is NOISE on PICTURES???? How can a pic have NOISE???

I promise it will be my last query!!! I am happy to wait for this camera... When u say MAY RELEASE, r u sure this is not available anywhere NOW or sooner?? I currently live/work in Shanghai, China.

Thanks again, no need to keep researching, dont want you to have to reformat your HDD. Cheers
ChrisRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2006, 11:10 PM   #13

Noise is basically tiny black or yellow blotches/ dots/ darkness that appears when a camera can't 'keep' up with the lighting conditions, etc.. The mor you enlarge or zoom.. or often compress a photo, the more noticable.
vwmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2006, 11:12 PM   #14

Thank you kindly.
Old Apr 14, 2006, 10:05 PM   #15

Hi, remember me??? Anyhow, I havent bought a cam yet, awaiting the release of the Fuji F30 (as you suggested).I have seen and love the Sony DSC-T7. Upon research at this site, I found the soon to be relesed Sony T-30 (7.2MP, 3"screen, ISO1000, etc)which seems better than the T7 or T9. Any comments/opinion, or is it too early to tell yet? Thanks.
Old Apr 14, 2006, 10:06 PM   #16

Hi, remember me??? Anyhow, I havent bought a cam yet, awaiting the release of the Fuji F30 (as you suggested).I have seen and love the Sony DSC-T7. Upon research at this site, I found the soon to be relesed Sony T-30 (7.2MP, 3"screen, ISO1000, etc)which seems better than the T7 or T9. Any comments/opinion, or is it too early to tell yet? Thanks.
Old Apr 15, 2006, 3:25 AM   #17
E.T

That Sony's ISO1000 is highly propably pure fraud... Or do you think that noise removing destroying color is acceptable?
This one is from lower megapixel count H2:
http://www.quesabesde.com/camdig/not..._H2_ISO400.jpg
Heavy noise is already distorting colours, in "high sensitivity" mode colours are completely gone.
Shows well what marketing clowns trying to grossly exceed capabilities of very small still higher megapixel count sensor causers, masking extreme amount of noise has destroyed even colours, that brickwall should be red, not grey. And best of all, despite of destroyed colours there's plentily of chroma (=colour) noise!

And about those big media sexy LCDs... Aren't already smaller LCDs very good fingerprint/scratch magnets so what happens when whole backside of camera is that screen?
Also using LCD is worst possible thing to do in not good lightning because shake is multiplied compared to when you use viewfinder and support camera also to forehead.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote