Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 20, 2006, 1:19 AM   #1

I can afford either, (Sony DSC-N1 is 200US$ more, or Nikon S3), but I read pros & cons for each. Both of them are beautifully presented, love 'em both. Now I'm at a lost. Please help
ChrisRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 20, 2006, 3:46 AM   #2

Maybe if you tell us why you concluded that one of these two cameras is for you, we could help you. What do you mean, "beautifully presented"?

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2006, 6:37 AM   #3

Sorry I wasnt clear enough. Thx a lot for claryfying. OK, I love the "LOOK" of both of them, as i like cosmetic looks. I can afford either, but DONT want to choose the wrong one. My friend has a sony cybershot 6MP, and his photos were SO much better than my Nikon coolpix3700 (same holiday photos) I want to upgrade now............ which way should i jump??? Heard a few bad things about both the cams??? B Y THE WAY, THIS IS A SENSATIONAL SITE...

Old Feb 20, 2006, 11:22 AM   #4

Chris,

You still really haven't given any reason (other than looks) what your criteria is for purchase. If you heard bad things about both of these cams, why are you still considering buying one of them?

Other than size (both are small cams), what type of pictures do you plan on taking? Is zoom important? Low light capability? Wide angle? Powerfull flash? Does the camera have to fit in your pocket? Video capability? What size prints do you plan on making? Will you be taking mostly landscapes, action photos, portraits, etc. There is no one camera that is best for all applications (that's why they make so many of them).

the Hun

Old Feb 20, 2006, 10:38 PM   #5

ok sorry again. 1. It must be pocket size, as I already have an excellent SLR Minolta 5000 Dynaxetc. 2. Its mainly used on holidays which is scenery mostly (in & outdoors) & of course some people (indoors, etc). Thx for ur perseverance. Cheers
Old Feb 21, 2006, 3:55 AM   #6

IMHO, the Sony would be a much better choice than the Nikon. However, if you are going to spend that much money on an ultracompact, take a hard look at the brand new Fuji F30. It's just a bit thicker than the N1, and a little heavier, but it has a larger sensor, and ISO 3200 capability. You just might want to retire your Minolta if you get the F30. It's due out in May. Compare photo quality to the F10 - should be at least as good if not better.

the Hun

Old Feb 21, 2006, 4:38 AM   #7

Thanks a million for all your advice. I will chaeck out the F30 on the web. Cheers
Old Feb 22, 2006, 5:55 PM   #8

Hi again, I checked out the Fuji website upon your suggestion of the F30. I didnt find anything regarding it. Do you know where i can actually see a photo of it & its specs, then i can wait until May as u said. Nevertheless , the site was a very educational site and I learnt a lot. I would even really like a digi cam that is from 28mm-, rather than all the current ones which are 38mm- whatever. Does one exist?? Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 6:17 PM   #9

Here's some info on the F30:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/pr/fu...06_f30_pr.html

and...

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0602/06021403fujif30.asp

Oh, so now you want to add some additional criteria, do you? 28 mm wide angle lens?

This is why I asked questions up front (LOL)! Now you're severely limiting the field...before I search, is there anything else you want on your new camera...100x zoom...42" plasma screen monitor...512 MP resolution...smaller than a credit card?

the Hun

Old Feb 22, 2006, 6:58 PM   #10

Hahaha. Very funny. Yeah, it looks excellent, just like the V10 as well. I love the 2 takes of every low light pics, what a great idea!! Was happy it is also on the F30. Now i will seriously consider waiting till May, instead of buying the Sony - N1 this weekend. Thanks for directing me there. Hows that search going??? hehehehe?

Ok, just one more stupid Q? I assume the 8MP of the Sony-N1 does NOT automatically assure better quality pics than the 6.3MP of the Fuji-F30....Correct???? I kinda read that from the Fuji site itself.