Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 22, 2006, 10:41 AM   #11

There is another thread allready started on warrenties.. Thanks.
vwmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2006, 10:43 AM   #12

I thought there probably was, but didn't see it. I created a new one, but will look if there is one out there.

RandyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2006, 2:51 PM   #13

I, too, am trying to decide between these three cameras; however, I want to make sure it will work well at concerts. I attend a lot and like to take my camera. Which do you feel will be the best solution for me? or should I look for another option?

I want it for general purposes, as well. I'm a beginner and this will be my first digital camera. I just want to get the best camera that won't cause me too much frustration in learning the ins and outs of digital. :?

Thanks,

Robin
minishuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2006, 3:37 PM   #14

vwmom wrote:
Quote:
The S3 is simply rumor.. IF it is going to happen soon.. the 'supposed' rumors say tomorrow.. so we'll quickly see.

I was in delema over the 610 and S2 myself.. kept the 610 for 29 days.. and returned it for the S2.. the IS and the zoom made me pick it. I have 2 young boys involved in gymnastics.. skating.. soon soccer.. has been AWESOME
They have it posted on Canon site now.
jbjalways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2006, 3:39 PM   #15

I just took the S2 to my second concert last night. I couldn't be happier. Of course you will getsome blurry ones if they move a lot, but I got quite a few really good ones.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I am totally thrilled with the S2 at the concerts. I just switched to digital after getting sick of paying lots of $ printing pics to find out they are blurry. I love the fact I can see them right away.

jbjalways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2006, 4:58 PM   #16

Yes the S3 has been announced (on Feb 21), though there are few improvements to warrent the price jump in my opinion.
vwmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2006, 4:10 PM   #17

Can anyone advise me on whether to keep my SD500 or get the S2 IS? I love the size of the SD500, but it is frustrating trying to get it to focus in lower light situations. By the time it gets locked on, the scene is gone.

Also, the SD500 has terrible red eye. I can fix them in PhotoShop, but it does get to be tedious.

I also have a Nikon DX70 when I'm going somewhere important, but I like to carry something that will fit in my purse too.

So, the question is--keep the SD500 or is there something better? I use it for general use--candid and posed shots at parties, etc., some scenery, macro--I guess everything.

Thanks!

Jean
jachang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2006, 5:24 PM   #18

Jean-

Because it appears that you are looking both for more zoom and better low light level shooting capabailities. Let's discuss how your camera uses light to record your photos. There are two major contols a camera has to take good photos under lower light levels. The first is through using a wider aperature, the second is by using a higer ISO setting, which is the sames as using faster fim in the old film camera days.

The Canon S-2 is good, but it is held back by having only a max ISO settingof 400.

Cameras such as the Fuji F-10 can use a max ISO setting of 1600. Or said another way The F-10 can take photos with 4 times LESS light than the Canon S-2. If you desire high ISO numbers and zoom to, then take a look at the Fuji-5200 which can also use a max of ISO 1600.

MT

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2006, 5:13 PM   #19

Jean -

I purchased the S2 IS about 5 weeks ago and am really impressed with it. I've taken mostly indoor shots of sporting events using the 12x telephoto. Also, I've shot a great deal of movie clips which have also proven to be superb. My only regret is that I should have waited until May or June for the new S3 - at the time of my purchase I didn't know the S3 was even scheduled. Anyway, the S3 is a 6 MPL and has a larger LCD (2.0). Also, it's ISO has increased to a max of 800. Another nice feature is the additional option of shooting in the movie mode at 60fps. Also, the lens is now threaded at the end for much easier application of UV filters, etc. Canon is saying that it will be priced at the current MSRP of the S2 - approximately $499. You can probably pick up the current S2 fairly cheaply online. I purchased mine five weeks ago for around $390. Good luck with your purchase!
hawks1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2006, 10:21 PM   #20

I have had the S2 for almost 6 months, and it has been great. I use it to take pictures at my kids soccer games. Usually I will take a couple hundred photos between my two kids games during a weekend and all of them are in focus. I have even played around with the digital zoom and zoomed in on a close up shot of my daughter and her friend from the opposite end of the field lengthwise and it was very clear, I could barely tell which one was in the 12x zoom and which one was in the digital zoom; no artifacts. I use the video camera function a lot when off roading, I have been leaving my video camera at home. At the time I bought it, Canon had the only cameras that let you zoom while recording video; that may be different now.

The only down side is it does not seem to be that great at night and dark indoors like school performances. I have not experimented with the settings enough so maybe someone will chime in and let me know what I am doing wrong.

Mike
ranger951 is offline   Reply With Quote