Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 20, 2006, 10:07 AM   #1

I am considering the purchase of either a Canon Powershot S2 IS or Powershot A620. Does anyone have thoughts or suggestions between these two, or any others in the $300-$400 price range.
RandyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 20, 2006, 11:49 AM   #2

Have had no experience of the A620, but use an S2 IS. It would help if you could be a bit more specific as to what type of photos you will be taking. Scenery, wildlife, portaits etc or just a general mix.

All the photos on www.meltonrossnewbarnetby.co.uk have been taken with the S2 IS there is a mixture of landscape, wildlife and macros on the site.

Regards and welcome to the forum this is a great place with a very friendly atmosphere.
airedaleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2006, 12:20 PM   #3

I appreciate your reply. There are some very nice photos on the website. My uses would be a general mix, including pictures at my children's sporting events. Despite only being 5 megapixel, I was leaning toward the S2 IS because of the zoom capabilities for close ups at swm meets, etc... Would the S2 be a good selection for these types of photos?

Old Feb 20, 2006, 12:47 PM   #4

Hi Randy M, I have no experience of swim meet shots sporting movement etc so cannot say how the S2 would perform but I am sure there will be others using this forum that have tried the S2 under these circumstances.

Can anyone help Randy M with this one?.
airedaleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2006, 3:06 PM   #5

The A620 has not only a higher resolution than the S2 but also a significantly larger CCD, which is an important additional advantage. Thus if you have no camera shake than the image quality of the A620 is significantly higher than the S2. However, if you have only a little bit of camera shake the S2 will pull ahead. Especially, when you shoot tele photos, shake is almost inevitable, if you don't use a tripod. Thus with excellent image stabiliser of the S2 you are always on the safe side, while with the A620 you sometimes will have shots blurred by camera shake. Also the lense quality of the A620 is not constant. While Steve's test shots are quite fine, I have seen various other test shots with unacceptable corner softness. Thus I would clearly go for the S2, but would wait a few months until the S3 comes to market. Then the S2 prices will fall significantly. I bought my S1 very cheaply last year, when the S2 came to market and I am still quite happy with this camera.
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2006, 4:23 PM   #6

Thanks for the information. Has any information regarding specifications or product availability for the S3 been announced?
Old Feb 20, 2006, 9:56 PM   #7

The S3 is simply rumor.. IF it is going to happen soon.. the 'supposed' rumors say tomorrow.. so we'll quickly see.

I was in delema over the 610 and S2 myself.. kept the 610 for 29 days.. and returned it for the S2.. the IS and the zoom made me pick it. I have 2 young boys involved in gymnastics.. skating.. soon soccer.. has been AWESOME
vwmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2006, 12:09 AM   #8

It is quite certain that the S3 will feature a 1/2.5 6 MP CCD instead of the S2' 1/2.5 5 MP CCD. Many cameras have been upgraded this way recently. Otherwise I don't expect much change, but may be Canon will surprise us.
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2006, 8:14 AM   #9

I wasn't overly impressed with the announcement of the S3, and the correspondingimprovements over theS2. I'm still not exactly sure which way to go, but I'm hoping maybe even betterdealson the S2 can be found, as the S3 nears delivery.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 8:53 AM   #10

A little off topic, but how dofeel about extended warranties for digital cameras? Do you typicallypurchasethem or take your chances?