Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 21, 2006, 10:42 AM   #1

hello,

the cameras i am looking at right now are the following, canon sd550, sony dsc-n1, panasonic lumix fx9 and probably likeone more which i cant recollect right now.

one of these cameras is going to be bought by me today because me and my brother are going to poland and france for a vacation. the camera is going to be my brothers but i am helping by searching for a good buy. he really likes the sony n1 because we saw one in BB yesterday that really grabbed his attention (because of the looks).i am the one who prefferes better picture quality over the looks. so my question is reguarding wheatherone camera is significantly better then the other in night shots, indoor with poor lighting , outdoor, portraitand macro shots.

i have searched the camerason multiple well respectes sites such as this one and cant seem to decide, as of now it seems ill buy the sony unless you guys say its now on par with the others in picture quality. (suggest other cameras if applicable)

thanks in advance

marcin

kajtek123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 21, 2006, 12:45 PM   #2

all opinions welcome:-)
Old Feb 22, 2006, 4:02 PM   #3

Ok.. Firstly.. Why are you choosing from the above models?

What is your price budget? Your low light concern is going to be the hardest to meet.. How low are you talking?

How compact do you want it?.. or does it matter?

Personally, If I were looking for another cam. I would stick with Canon. I've gone from a 100% Sony fan to Canon all the way. Sony's new models just don't hold up to their older ones. Colors seem washed out overall.

Have you looked at the Canon A610?.. It's one of the best rated right now, and anyone I know that has ones has no complaints. It would be a benefit for a trip I think because it's got wonderful video capabilites.

IF you can handle something a little larger, the Canon S2 IS is good too, the zoom would be great on a trip.
vwmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2006, 4:08 PM   #4

You should note that the Panasonic and Sony you speak of have no viewfinder.. I find that a writeoff personally, but that's MY opinion. You've got a sunny day and you're screwed.

The Sony has a touch LCD, much more vulnerable to damage.

Batteries will also be a thing to look at.. You will need to take adapters and chargers.. or if you get a cam that takes AA's.. you can just pack extra batteries.. or even buy there.
vwmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2006, 6:44 PM   #5

i would like to stay away from the larger models because i want the camera to fit in a pocket quite easily. in the future i will consider a larger camera that has very good picture quality.

the price limit is about 400 dollars or just about what the n1 costs.

well i just looked up the a610, is the a620 better because i would rather invest some more money because i am also buying these cameras for my cousins and i think not sparing money will be better in the long run.

well i just mentioned the low light issue because i know i will be using the cameras indoors and you can never predict the amount of light that you have to make a nice picture.

i choose the above models because of the size.

thanks ireallyappriciate your time
Old Feb 22, 2006, 7:33 PM   #6

In view of the fact that this is EXTREMELY short notice, less than 24 hours! I would just suggest that you purchase the Canon SD-550. It is small, pocket sized, has received excellent reviews, and it meet your requirements.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2006, 7:48 PM   #7

Hey 123,

I just got home from work and hopped on my computer, and what do you think I saw? "worst forum i've been to"

http://stevesforums.com/forums/view_...mp;forum_id=87

I know exactly what camera would be best for you, but you know what? I'm not going to tell you which one that is. Have a nice life - loser!.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2006, 8:33 PM   #8

Good for you Rinnie!
Old Feb 22, 2006, 9:19 PM   #9

sorry but i just wanted to get somebodys attention to remind them what this forum is for(andi do not mean this in a negative way)

i am rather new to all forums and i do not have a clue about how long it takes to get a reply.

i just thought since my topic was already on the secondpage that no one would visit it anyway.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 10:11 PM   #10

Dear Rude Poster-

Just for the record. Your original post was NOT on the second page at all. It was still on the front page. Only two hours had elapsed since your original posting. Your original post was still on the front page. Eight people rushed to answer your original query. We are not paid to answer your posts. We are only UNPAID voluteeers.

Quite honestly, I sincerely believe that you owe all of us a very sincere apology. Please be reasaonable, won't you, please??

Mt