Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 21, 2006, 9:42 AM   #1

Let me start by saying I am a novice so please don't be too hard on me. I am looking to purchase a new camera and am leaning towards either a Kodak P880 or Canon 2S IS. I don't want to go the DSLR route because I don't want to carry all the extras. I realize my two choices are very different when it comes to the lenses. I want a camera that does it all (lol). Most of the shots I take are of scenery (love sunsets and sunrises), some outdoor action (whale watching, fishing, golf) and, of course, the usual family indoor shots. We travel a lot and our upcoming plans include Zion and Bryce Canyons in 2 weeks, then St. Maarten, Cabo San Lucas, Hawaii and Scotland within the next year.

Both cameras have adapters available to gain more zoom or telephoto capabilities which would be of interest to me… but how good are these adapters? I am thinking of getting both cameras (sans adapters) for my upcoming trip and returning one. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
MDietteric is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 21, 2006, 11:56 AM   #2

MD-

Few digital cameras cover both the wide angle end of the lens as well as the ultra zoom area. One that comes to mind is the Fuji S-9000 which covers the 35mm equivalent of 28mm to 300mm all in one lens.

I own both the Canon S-2 and the P-880 and often cary them together because they really do not overlap each other very much. With the current sale going on at www.costco.com that makes the cost of the Kodak P-880 just $399 after rebates and sale price deductions. And when you add to that low price the fact that included in that price a free Kodak 256mb SD card is also included, the P-880 becomes more attractive, and is lower priced than the Canon S-2.

Here is a P-880 sample photo that takes good advantage of that wonderful Schneider 24mm ultra wide zoom lens setting. Following that you will find a Canon S-2 Sunset photo formated the same way to give a wide angle looking effect.

The Canon S-2 IS is a very competent ultra zoom digital camera. I have no experience with add-on accessory lenses. But by referrring to the S-2 example photo, you can see that some adapting can be done to get that wide angle look. I hope that helps.

MT

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2006, 3:15 PM   #3
E.T

MDietteric wrote:
Quote:
Both cameras have adapters available to gain more zoom or telephoto capabilities which would be of interest to me… but how good are these adapters?
Good quality adapters designed for lens in question doesn't really degrade image but good quality costs... and then using them is like DSLR with interchangeable lenses (including carrying them) and they are mostly meant for using at camera's widest setting.

So for your use I would immediately drop S2 unless you really want to carry extra stuff in your vacations, its "wide" angle field of fiew is nearly one third narrower... or P880 has almost 50% wider fov when looking other way, but as trade its tele doesn't differ anyway from standard compacts.

I would recommend Fuji S9000 (9500 in Europe) if you want long tele, 300mm isn't so much shorter than ~400mm.
Then other camera would be KonicaMinolta A200 with 28-200mm zoom.
I myself take general nature photograps, sky phenomenons including thunderstorms and have found 28-200mm really good for that, only times when 200mm gets short is wild animals/birds.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/comp...ea200&show=all
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2006, 8:05 PM   #4

mtclimber and E.T. - Thanks for your input. It seems like could get the P880 or S9000 to best satisfy my needs, the S9000 appears to be the better choice because of the increased zoom. I like that they both have a hot shoe. From reviews that I have read it seems like the P880 may have better picture quality. Is that true? If so am I better off having less zoom capability? Which of these 2 would you choose and why?
MDietteric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2006, 9:28 PM   #5

I own BOTH the Fuji S-9000 and the Kodak P-880. Considering those two, I much prefer the P-880. The S-9000, just in my opinion, has been something of a camera thatb has been over hyped.

MT
Old Feb 22, 2006, 5:57 AM   #6

Right now I would buy the Konica Minolta Z5. It is currently available here for only 229€ (including our hefty VAT). While the S2 is clearly the better camera it isn't worth almost twice the price. My next choice would be the Konica Minolta A200. With 419€ it doesn't cost much more than the S2 IS and you get more camera for your money. As Konica Minolta is moving out of the camera business, there is an unusual opportunity to pick up nice bargains. I myself bought a Konica Minolta Dynax 7D recently.
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2006, 8:38 AM   #7

kassandro raises a good point-

Yes, there will be bargains available as KM leaves the marketplace. However, I personally believe that we ought to take into comsideration the fact that while KM will continue to produce dSLR cameras for Sony, they are completely leaving the P & S market place. Again, this is only my opinion, but If I was purchasing a Z-5 or an A-200, which will no longer be produced at all, I would be concerned about product support and service.

Owning a KM 5D or 7D is a completely different story, as KM will still be active as a manufacturer of those two cameras. This is one of those decisions that each of us will have to make if we are purchasing a KM camera.

MT