Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 21, 2006, 12:08 PM   #1

So i finally decided to get myself a digital camera but i need help in picking the right one. I'm not even sure how many megapixel would be good for me so any information would be appreciated.

I'm looking for a compact camera. It's going to be used from taking family/friend pictures to scenery basically it's going to take the place of my 35mm camera. While most of the photos that i plan on printing are going to be standard 4x6 prints I would like to have the capability of enlarging the photos for larger prints.

I am looking to spend up to $300 just for the camera. I have gone to store and looked and used some cameras and noticed that some cameras have a 'lag' from when you hit the button to when the phot is taken I would like to avoid a camera with such a long lag. And would like the camera to be PictBridge compatible since I just got a photo printer with that capability.

These are some of the cameras that I am looking at

Casio Exilim EX-Z120

Sony Cybershot P200

Sony Cybershot DSC-W7

Canon Powershot A610

Canon Powershot SD450

Any other suggested would be appreciated, thanks in advance

HandsDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 21, 2006, 1:11 PM   #2

Out of your list I like the Canon A610. You may want to consider the Canon A620 which would be maybe $50 over your budget. The A620 has 7.1 megapixels versus the A610's 5 megapixels. More megapixels means better cropping/photoshopping and the ability to enlarge. Super sweet A4 size. Even bigger.
Compurocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2006, 9:34 PM   #3

Compurocker wrote:
Quote:
The A620 has 7.1 megapixels versus the A610's 5 megapixels. More megapixels means better cropping/photoshopping and the ability to enlarge. Super sweet A4 size. Even bigger.
But if your not printing 16x24or larger, the A610 has been known tobe faster then the A620, and has a bit less noise, becausethere's less MP's.

For many, 4 MP's is overkill, and the A610 will handle enlargements well, and will be a better choice unless you need the mp's ( thoughI like the colors of the A620 better. why did canon print 5 megapixels in blue?).
Homer J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2006, 10:39 PM   #4

YES CANON A610 WOULD BE A BRILLIANT CHOICE ...DON'T THINK & GO FOR IT......YOUWOULD FIND ALL THE DESIRED QUALITIES IN A610.
adeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2006, 10:53 PM   #5

Hands down A610. My experience with it was AWESOME.. Brilliant colors and photo quality.
vwmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2006, 5:01 AM   #6

Have you thought carefully about weight/portability? The canon a610 is great, but after owning a 4-battery A80 for a while I replaced it with the lighter and also excellent 2-battery A 520. I no longer feel inhibited from putting it on my belt or in a strong pocket, and take more shots as a a result.

Jim Bowman
harrovian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2006, 9:39 AM   #7

I actually would like something on the light and portable side...which is the only problem I see with the A610 since it's pretty much twice as heavy as the other cameras plus it's about the same size as my current 35mm camera.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 10:16 AM   #8

Exersize your wrist and get the A610. You won't be disappointed.
dequardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2006, 8:06 PM   #9

Im going to go to the store tomorrow and physically handle the camera that I stated above but I'm considering between the Canon a610 and the Sony DSC-W7

Any other suggestions you guys have would be helpful

Also would getting the A620 instead of the A610 be worth it. I mean I understand I get higher rez and it's a step up from the A610. But for my use as I stated above will it be worth it for me. Thanks
Old Feb 22, 2006, 9:59 PM   #10

There is no need for the 620 over the 610.. use the extra 100 bucks and buy yourself a crap load of memory cards..lol..

I tried the W5 myself (actually before the 610).. it didn't sit right in my hands.. There was NO way I could shoot with one hand.. but that's me
vwmom is offline   Reply With Quote