Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 22, 2006, 12:06 PM   #1

Where is the forum we find people posting ratings on differnet cameras?

That show's pro's & con's? Now that's what we need!
DJMic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 22, 2006, 3:32 PM   #2

Well, for ratings to have any meaning, you have to rate two different products by the same set of standards. The only real way to do that is to have the different equipment put through the same set of tests. That requires the tester to also have all the different cameras. Pretty tough to do. That's why steve has a review section. He has access to all the equipment and can perform the same set of controlled tests on each camera. If you just leave it up to us animals you won't get an accurate opinion of how my camera compares to another users. We could both rate sharpness as outstanding but we each have different standards and if neither one of us owns the other camera it's impossible for us both to come up with a relative rating of which one is better. At least with steves reviews (or other review sites like dp review) you have controlled testing by the same people for all the different models.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2006, 3:41 PM   #3

True but at least there would be "opinion polls" and a person would get an idea of what cameras users did not like to use or problems they had with that particular model or brand.

Itwas just an idea. As I'm having a hard time deciding what camera would work best for me, and cost efficient at the same time.

I want one that I can change lenses for future experiementing and learning, and really like what I've read about the Canon 20D but it's still a little high for my price range.

I already have a small point and shoot 5MP that takes great photos. So with that said I'm now just after a little fancier one to do the more professional picture taking and option for poster size blow ups.
DJMic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2006, 4:04 PM   #4

DJ,

My best advice is to start a thread stating specifically what you want out of a DSLR that your current camera can't provide. And be specific about what types of photography you're planning on doing. "More professional picture taking" is a very vague term. Depending on the shooting situations you might be hard pressed to tell the difference from a photo produced by a digicam vs. a DSLR.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote