Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 23, 2006, 4:27 PM   #11

The XT is better than the R1 for a couple reasons, but the simplest is that the R1 is NOT A DSLR. your superior though the lens (TTL) opictal veiwfinder is replaced with a EVF, you cannot change your lens to suit your needs, and the R1 is missing most of the atvantages of a non-DSLR, like a movie mode.

Megapixels mean nothing unless you are doing an extreme amount of cropping on a picture. Since the pixels are smaller, it can actully be a downside, as when they get smaller they lose some senstivity to light, which can make low light foucusing difficult, and can increase noise.

I've also heard that the sensor is not that great ( has noise problems), and that it's LCD is in an inconveinent place. Sonys newer products also haven't been as good as there older ones.

And if you get the 17-85mm EF-S lens with yur Rebel XT,it has image stabization built in. This will allow you to take the shutter speed down three stops, but will NOT help to freeze motion.

Homer J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2006, 5:09 PM   #12

How about the Nikon D200 VS The Cannon Rebel XT?
Straylightrun00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2006, 5:30 PM   #13

Those are two completely different DSLR's. The D200 is a better camera, if you can deal with the size and price. The Rebel XT is an entry level DSLR, while the D200 is for the person who needs high performance.

If youlike canon, check out the20D, or the newly announced30D, which will beout in mid march. Both are less money ( 20D- $1100-1400, 30D-$1400, and I personally like the 20Dbetter than the D200.

See the 20D's review on this website for more information on this camera.
Homer J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2006, 10:55 PM   #14

I got the D200 for a pretty good deal, so I just went with it.* So, do you guys think it will be pretty good?
Old Feb 25, 2006, 9:15 PM   #15

Pretty good??? It is the best out there! Now you just need to stock up on some great Nikkor lenses. Enjoy it for 10 years or more....
sbranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2006, 9:31 PM   #16
Administrator

Straylightrun00 wrote:
Quote:
I got the D200 for a pretty good deal, so I just went with it.
That was fast. Talking about going from one extreme to the other (Sony T1 to Nikon 200).... ;-)

I hope you're getting it from a reputable vendor.

There are a lot of scam artists around, and if you get a gray market version (one not intended for sale in the region you're in), Nikon will refuse to service it, even if you are willing to pay them to fix it. That's a common trick the scam artists use (selling cameras not intended for sale in the U.S. that you can't get serviced).

Make sure you check out any vendor you consider carefully using http://www.resellerratings.com

Quote:
So, do you guys think it will be pretty good?
That depends on your skill as a photographer, the lenses you get for it, and the condtions you'll use it in.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2006, 12:38 AM   #17

Well, most of my shooting will be for concerts, sports, friends/family.* Some pictures will need to be shot in low lighted areas.* So I am hoping that this camera can handle that.* Which, it should be able to?* Also i am going with a regular f1.8 or 1.4 mm lens and the VR 18mm-200mm lens.* That sound good for what i am doing?
Old Feb 26, 2006, 1:30 AM   #18
Administrator

Straylightrun00 wrote:
Quote:
Well, most of my shooting will be for concerts, sports, friends/family. Some pictures will need to be shot in low lighted areas. So I am hoping that this camera can handle that. Which, it should be able to? Also i am going with a regular f1.8 or 1.4 mm lens and the VR 18mm-200mm lens. That sound good for
what i am doing?
The D200 has higher noise compared to some DSLR models, including more than the entry level D50, probably because it's stuffing more photosites into the same size sensor.

That's a tradeoff you make going to a higher resolution model, since the surface area for each photosite will be smaller, requiring more light to generate the same signal level. As a result, you need to amplify the signal more get equivalent ISO speeds, which also amplifies noise.

So, it would not have been my first choice for low light use. But, it's an outstanding camera in most areas (it's probably superior to anything else in it's price range, except for noise at higher ISO speeds), and the photos will probably clean up OK for most uses if you use something like Noiseware or Neat Image when shooting at higher ISO speeds is needed. Because it's a higher resolution image, noise will average in some at smaller sizes, too, masking it some.

It will have better Autofocus for both low light and sports, though.

I'd make sure to get bright lenses for concerts. I'd personally suggest bright primes for this purpose (since you can get brighter primes compared to zooms). Depending on how close you can get to the stage, you might be able to get by with a 50mm (f/1.4 or f/1.8 ) The next step up in focal length would be an 85mm. If you're shooting from further away, you can get longer primes.

If you're at a larger concert, lighting is usually better, and you may not need the highest ISO speeds to achieve the desired results.

Some users try to get by with an f/2.8 zoom for this purpose (although primes are going to be brighter). For example, something like a Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX APO DG AF lens. Nikon makes an f/2.8 zoom with this range with Vibration Reduction (70-200mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S VR).

BTW, one thing to keep in mind, is that you can't get a camera in to many concerts if it looks too "professional" (and a DSLR with a very large and heavy lens on it is going to look profesional. ;-)

So, even though you might have been able to get your pocket camera into concerts, doesn't mean you can get a DSLR in, especially if it's wearing a big f/2.8 zoom on it.

Are you talking larger concerts in an auditorium, or just local bands in clubs where you don't need longer focal lengths?

I want to be able to take photos at some of the local clubs in my area, and these have very low light. I ended up going with a Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D for this purpose. It's got ISO speeds up to ISO 3200, with built in anti-shake that works with every lens, including bright primes.

It's also a smaller and lighter camra compared to the KM Maxxum 7D. That influenced my decision since I figured that a smaller camera would be less noticeable and less ikely to be objected to. I keep a 28mm f/2 on my 5D when out at night more often than not (small, bright and sharp), and I've got some longer primes if needed (50mm f/1.7, 100mm f/2, 135mm f/2.8 ). I'm keeping an eye out for the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 to start shipping in Minolta mount, too (I could use an extra stop at times, even with ISO 3200 and anti-shake).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2006, 10:19 AM   #19

I see, well thank you very much for all the input you have given me so far.* Some questions I still have are about the higher noise level at higher ISO's.* Can this be helped with a flash?* And overall, would you advise me to go with something that does better at higher ISO levels?* Or, will this camera get by with nice enough pictures?* Because, it is really nice overall.* Btw, I get into concerts with photo passes
Old Feb 26, 2006, 10:31 AM   #20

If you take the time to learn the D200 then you should be able to overcome the noise issues. You dont always have to shoot at 1600 or 3200 to get good indoor photos. You do need to get fast and high quality lenses though. Stick with Nikkor f2.8 or lower.

The D50 is better for the noise issue at higher ISO but you already have your camera.
sbranch is offline   Reply With Quote