Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 27, 2006, 12:55 PM   #41

Jim, thats what I meant f or the 18-200 lens, mainly for daily use, outdoor and action shots.* *Here are some shots I have taken with my DSC-T1.This is an example of the horrible quality I get with low lighting.
Attached Images

Straylightrun00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2006, 1:00 PM   #42

another low light picture
Attached Images

Old Feb 27, 2006, 1:03 PM   #43

concert
Attached Images

Old Feb 27, 2006, 1:03 PM   #44

Car
Attached Images

Old Feb 27, 2006, 1:05 PM   #45

So these are only a small amount of the pictures I have taken.* The low light/night pictures give me the most trouble.
Old Feb 27, 2006, 1:10 PM   #46
Administrator

I can't tell what the light was in that one, since you used a flash (and the camera is going to use a faster shutter speed with flash).

I'd need one without a flash in similar conditons to estimate light levels.

Look, your T1 has one of the weakest flashes you can find in any digital camera from a major manufacturer. ;-)

Almost any camera would give better results using a flash.

If you don't mind using a flash, you could get by with LOTS of different models.

If you don't want to use a flash, that's where a problem comes in, and you'll need a camera with higher availalbe ISO speeds with a brighter lens.

Chances are, you would not have been able to get the same framing as you had with that one with something like a 50mm f/1.8

You'd need a wider lens. You were shooting at a 35mm equivalent angle of view of around 38mm.

So, that means you would need to shoot with a lens that had a focal length of 25mm on a Nikon DSLR if you were shooting from the same distance (you need to multiply the actual focal length by 1.52x to see how the angle of view compares to a 35mm model).

That's one reason I keep a 28mm f/2 on my KM 5D more often than not when indoors. It's a little wider than a 50mm for shooting in closer quarters (although it would still not be wide enough for that shot, unless you could back up more).

If you want to shoot existing light in closer quarters and want to the flexbility of a zoom, look at some of the 18-50mm f/2.8 choices available.

That may still be "cutting it close", depending on lighting and ISO Speed selection. But, you'll lose depth of field with larger apertures, too.

If you can use a flash, then you don't even need a DSLR, as almost any camera will have a better flash compared to your T1.

Or, you may be able to get by with something like a Fuji F10 in some indoor conditions without one.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2006, 1:12 PM   #47

low light again
Attached Images

Old Feb 27, 2006, 1:12 PM   #48

ngiht life bk
Attached Images

Old Feb 27, 2006, 1:12 PM   #49

evo
Attached Images

Old Feb 27, 2006, 1:15 PM   #50

I see, well thank you again for all your help!* The one of my dog has no flash but, that has a bit of light.* If i try to take a shot with no flash, the picture is nonexistent if that gives you an idea.* Also, I plan to do lots of fast action shots and outdoor shots.* One more thing, do the smaller mm mean it will be wider, as far as lens's go?