Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 22, 2006, 1:46 PM   #1

Currently, I have a Sony DSC-T1.¬* I bought it as a point and shoot camera.¬* However, it does horrible in low light conditions.¬* I was looking at other compact cameras that would maybe give me a better low light picture quality.¬* I was told that if I wanted both good quality in low light conditions I should go with a bigger camera.¬* At first I just wanted a compact camera, like the Sony DSC-N1 or the Canon SD550.¬* However, now I think I can just use my compact for a point and shoot, and get a bigger one like the Sony DSC-R1 or the Canon Rebel XT for more quality photos.¬* Can you guys please give me some input on which camera(s) I should go for?¬*¬*Once again I am looking for:Quality Low Light PicturesQuality PicturesAbility to point and shoot like a compact cameraDSLR/non-DSLR ie(Sony DSC-R1)?High mega pixelsThank you in advanced!
Straylightrun00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 22, 2006, 4:00 PM   #2

Go with the canon Rebel XT.Buy the Rebel XT with EF-S 17-85mm lensif you can, as the kit lens is a budget lens.
Homer J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2006, 4:19 PM   #3

Alright, if you don't mind me asking how the Rebel compares to the Sony?¬* And why you lean towards the Rebel?¬*¬*Thanks much!
Old Feb 22, 2006, 4:44 PM   #4

well, for low light you cant do better than a DSLR. Of the R1 or the XT, the XT will give you better high ISO performance. It needs to be pared with a lens that has the ability to capture alot of light. These are indicated by fstop numbers. The lower the number, the more light the lens will let in. You want something f2.8 or lower. The lest you can do is something like a 50 mm f1.4 lens. that coupled with the DSLR body will let you capture shots in lighting were PS cameras cant even shoot witout a flash.

The lens mentioned above is nice glass, but is not any better than the kit lens for low light. The DSLR route is expensive though, but worth it for the kind of low light shots you seem to want to get.
VAtechtigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2006, 4:53 PM   #5

Thanks for the input/advice, anymore advice/input would be greatly appreciated!¬* Now, are there any other DSLR's that you guys would reccomend?
Old Feb 22, 2006, 6:15 PM   #6

You also may want to look at the Pentax *ist DL (smaller by very little) and the D50from Nikon (larger). Both are cheaper, but unless the XT is too small for your hands, I think the XT is better.
Homer J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2006, 6:52 PM   #7

There is also the minolta DSLR, it has image stabilizer that is supposed to be very good which would allow you to take low light pictures at lower shutter speeds without a tripod or monopod and I think is cheaper than the canon. A dslr also has a much larger sensor.
Mark47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2006, 7:17 PM   #8

How about the megapixels?¬* The XT has 8 and the Sony has 10, but since the XT is¬* a DSLR is it better anyways?
Old Feb 22, 2006, 10:35 PM   #9

Could you guys explain in what ways the XT is Better than the R1?¬*Than ks!
Old Feb 22, 2006, 10:35 PM   #10

Could you guys explain in what ways the XT is Better than the R1?¬* So, the XT does not have an image stabilizer, which would make it hard to shoot photos without a tripod?¬* So it would not be a good point and shoot camera?