Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 22, 2006, 7:55 PM   #1

Hello, and I thank youin advance for any help you can afford this 1 post newbie.

I have read all the reviews on the cameras in question, here and elsewhere. I really need some steering and inside scoop.

Here is the deal....

I am looking for a compact digital camera to replace my kaput Nikon 3100. My priorities are quality snapshots, decent zoom, cost. I desire AA batt compatability, and prefer SD memory since I have many standard speed SD cards up to 1gb. Changing to Memory Stick is not really a problem though, especially if I would need to get a high speed SD card anyway(do I???). I have NIMH AA rechargables and charger, if that helps.

The use is for an all around camera for indoors and out. I used to be an avid shutterbug, so I know photography. Manual controls are a plus, but I anticipate getting a DSLR in the next 2 years.

I was at Office Depot and all set to pull the trigger on a Canon A610, however, the size really took me aback. I have real questions as to if it will fit into my jacket's breast pocket while mountaineering and fly fishing. I would rather have a smaller camera so that I'm likely to have it with me when I need it. My little Nikon was just right and I could go even a little larger

Well, here are the contenders and prices after 15% mail in rebate:

Sony DSC-P200 254.99

Sony DSC-W5 212.50

Sony DSC-W7 297.99

Nikon 7600 279.99

Canon A610 254.99

Canon A620 339.99

Canon SD450 297.99

I am not committed to Office Depot, but the prices are real and it's local and they are all in stock. I will consider other options too.

The new Sonys(especially theDSC P200) get good reviews, what do you guys know that the reviewers don't? (I tend to take published reviews with a grain of salt myself...) I don't see that camera recommended here much.

I can compare stats and numbers all day long (I have). These cameras all look great on paper, but I need the real scoop, especially, why is 5mp from Canon recommended over a highly rated Sony at 7.2?

I really appreciate any help you can give me. This is quite a major purchase for me so I want to make the right choice.
kindstranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 22, 2006, 8:52 PM   #2

stranger,

I read your post earlier, and I was really hoping someone else would have replied by now, because I'm not sure I can recommend any of the cameras you've listed for your intended usage. When I think of mountaineering and fishing, I think of snow, cold, dampness, ice, water, fog, wetness...are you starting to get the picture (no pun intended)? Cold and wet are not normally considered favorable to the long term survivability of electronics, and digital cameras are no exception. Have you considered a waterproof cam?

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_.../optiowpi.html

Just a thought...I don't know how good a camera it is, but it should give you piece of mind in case it falls out of your jacket pocket, streamside.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2006, 9:10 PM   #3

Rinniethehun, duely noted.

I have a pretty good system for keeping things dry, including my ipod and older camera. I never had problems with my Nikon.

I often keep things in ALOK bags inside a water resistant breast pocket. My fishing vest has a waterproof pocketand I keep with some kleenex in it. The kleenex will indicate the FIRST sign of a leak. This is an issue I am willing to risk.

Actually, the camera will be mostly used for the typical domestic and travel snapshot type stuff, however, I would like tohave come capability if the opportunity presents itself to take actual photographs

Thanks for the concern. It is a very good question.

You wouldn't be related to Eric the Hun would you?
kindstranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2006, 9:16 PM   #4

No...Atilla...

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote