Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 22, 2006, 9:00 PM   #1

Hey everybody . I am looking at buying a DSLR . I want it for the following : Outdoor pictures, indoor pictures, kids pictures, some race pictures, sports, And really want to try my hand at a few portrait shots. I am needing help deciding between three I have narrowed it down to : KM 5D, Nikon D 50,Pentax *istDL . These all are in my price budget. What are your thoughts about each ? If you recommend one which lens to go along with it ? I can get the KM 5D for $650 at one store . They only have one left . If you want to add a few pictures please feel free to do so .

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Thanks, Darrell
sc_radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 22, 2006, 9:19 PM   #2
Administrator

sc_radar wrote:
Quote:
I can get the KM 5D for $650 at one store . They only have one left
Is that with the kit lens? It would be fine for a general purpose walk around zoom lens and it's dirt cheap as part of the kit.

Then, get yourself something brighter for indoor use without a flash and/or portraits. A 50mm f/1.7 would be a good first choice, since it's bright, sharp and inexpensive. If you can't find one new (many vendors have now sold out), they're available used. I bought a Maxxum 7000 SLR, that included a 50mm f/1.7 and a flash for only $49 on Ebay a while back.

If you need a brighter zoom lens versus a prime, the Minolta 28-75mm f/2.8 and Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di are popular choices. But, a prime is going to be sharper and brighter compared to a zoom. For closer quarters indoors, the 28mm f/2 is my favorite lens (but, it's going to cost you more than something like a 50mm f/1.7, and the 50mm is going to be better for portraits, too).

Unfortunately, most vendors have sold out of the 5D now. So, the vendors that have them left are getting a bit more for one than you could find one for prior to the Sony/KM announcements. The 7D seems to be in a little better supply the last time I checked.

The KM 5D is the only entry level model that has both ISO 3200, and anti-shake with every lens, including bright primes.

I wanted a camera capable of being used in very low light, and the 5D was my choice in a tool for that purpose. But, most users aren't going to try and use a camera in lighting conditions as low as I sometimes do without a flash or tripod. ;-)

If you read through another recent thread, you'll see some of the entry level models being discussed:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=87

Keep in mind that any opinion you get in the forums is likely to be biased, including mine.

Make sure to read the reviews here of any camera you consider, paying close attention to the review conclusion section.

Then, try them out in a store to see what you think about things like ergonomics, control layout, viewfinder usability, speed of operation, etc. Each user will have different preferences in a camera.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2006, 9:53 PM   #3
Administrator

P.S.

In a brighter wide zoom (17-50mm f/2.8 ), it may be worth keeping an eye out for availability and user reviews for the just announced Tamron SP 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di-II LD Aspherical IF

http://www.tamron.co.jp/en/news/rele...s0215_a16.html

It will be available for Nikon, Canon (models with APS-C size sensors like the Rebel XT and EOS-20D) and Konica Minolta DSLR models.

But, pricing and availability is still up in the air for now.

Old Feb 23, 2006, 10:47 AM   #4

Do you have any photo equipment/lenses already that can work on any of your choices? I ended up buying the Pentax *ist DS at Costco because I already had severalSD cards, butmostly because Ihave a whole bunch of Pentax lenses from 20-25 years ago when I bought a Pentax ME. They work perfectly with either *ist, though they are what they are - all manual. I lovethis cameraand also saved myself lots of money by nothaving to buy new lenses.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2006, 5:36 PM   #5

Thanks for the replies. Jim , yes the price is with the kit 18-70mm lens. Mntgal I actually have nothing as far as lenses go. I am about to step into the new world of DSLR. I own just two camera`s at the present... Nikon coolpix 950 and a Pentax IQZoom 140 film camera. I know moving up from a point and shoot to a DSLR is a big step but I have always enjoyed photography and want to learn all I can and enjoy it as I learn new things. The Nikon D50 pictures I have seen seem to be not as sharp as I wish the were. My eyes may be fooling me though as I need glasses anyways. Is there anyone that cares to post a few pictures with there Nikon D50 ?If anyone has any links togood pictures from a Nikon d50 or KM 5D pass them along also. It just seems the KM 5D pictures have a little more brighter color in the pictures I have seen. It may be just the dirreference in the lenses. Also will all the photo`s from either camera need post processed thru PS ? I only own Paint Shop Pro so I am hoping that will do the trick. I notice the KM 5D uses compact flash. I have several compact flash cards that I bought to use with the 950 so that may save me a few dollars on that end if I choose KM . Any thoughts don`t be afraid to share them because as you can see I am a newbie to DSLR.
Old Feb 23, 2006, 5:46 PM   #6
Administrator

If you look at the reviews of these models here, you'll see some sample images at the end, and some of them will be of the same subjects to make them easier to compare.

BTW, I've still got a Nikon Coolpix 950, and despite what most consumers think they need for megapixels, it's perfectly capable of decent 8x10" prints if you don't crop any.

It's a very slow camera by current standards (autofocus speed, cycle times between images, etc.), so you will learn to time your shots better (otherwise, you'll miss them). ;-)

But, I still use my CP 950 from time to time. I like the swivel body, making it easier to get candid photos by shooting from waist level (because many people will change facial expressions, etc., if they see you pointing a camera at them). It's a favorite for parties since I can hold it over my head to get photos in crowded spaces, etc.

But, it sure feels slooooow if you don't use it for a while after using newer cameras. LOL

I had a 990 at one time, too (but I sold it quite a while back). I should have kept it, too.

Chances are, you'll want new CompactFlash cards, since you can't get many photos on older and smaller ones (especially if you want to shoot raw, with each image taking up around 8 Megabytes of space).

They are a lot cheaper now than they used to be, though.

Old Feb 26, 2006, 10:11 AM   #7

What do you think about this setup ?

Nikon D50
Nikon 28-80 mm f/3.3-5.6G AF
Nikon 70-300mm f/4-5.6 AF

I am leaning toward a Nikon D50 since the announcement of KM. I am just a newbie and want the best bang for the buck . I have racked my brain over this and I can`t decide yet. I went to a Rodeo last night that just opened close by with an inside arena. I want one that will allow me to take action shots too. There was plenty of chances to get great pics along with some cowgirls :-)

Old Feb 26, 2006, 10:20 AM   #8
Administrator

I'd probably avoid those lenses. They are very low end, especially for use in less than optimum lighting.

For your rodeo shots at night, you'll want a zoom with a constant f/2.8 aperture throughout the focal range to keep shutter speeds up fast enough to reduce motion blur and increase your number of keepers, even at higher ISO speeds. Or, you can use an even brighter priime (non-zoom lens).

This will add size, weight and cost.

The Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX APO DG is a popular lens for use in stadiums at night. It's about $800 new from reputable online vendors. But, if you shop around on the used market, you can usually find an older model for about half of what you can buy a new one for.

Lenses are rated by their largest available apertures (smaller f/stop numbers), and for most (but not all) zoom lenses, you'll see two aperture ratings... the first one is for the widest aperture at the wide end of the lens, and the second is the widest aperture at the long end of the lens. The largest available aperture will fall somewhere in between these two numbers at focal lengths in between the two extremes.

Some zoom lenses can maintain a constant aperture throughout their focal range (with f/2.8 being the most common), like the Sigma I mentioned above.

Of course, a brighter zoom lens is larger, heavier and more expensive.

Aperture is a ratio of the focal length of the lens and the area of the aperture iris diameter.

The aperture scale (in one stop increments) goes f/1.0, f/1.4, f/2.0, f/2.8, f/4.0, f/5.6, f/8.0, f/11, f/16, f/22, etc. With each one stop move to a smaller aperture (represented by larger f/stop numbers), you will need shutter speeds twice as long for proper exposure (only half as much light gets through with each one stop move) for any given lighting and ISO speed.

So, a lens that only has f/5.6 available on it's long end, is best used in very good lighting during the day.

A lens with a larger available aperture (smaller f/stop numbers) is desired to get fast enough shutter speeds to reduce motion blur (either from camera shake or subject movement) in many conditions.