Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 22, 2006, 11:32 PM   #1

Hi, I am looking to buy a new compact camera soon. I have read every review on every camera I can find on the web but until finding this site have simply been going round in ever decreasing circles.
I owned an early canon digital camera but was not happy with the red eye. I replaced that with a KodaxDX6490 which I enjoyed but now want something smaller again.(I stupidly left it in a taxi and lost it recently).
A friend got a pentax optio recently and is happy with that. I mainly take pictures of family, indoors and out.
I am no expert, but interested,I would like a 2.5 lcd but also a viewfinder. Something easy but giving great pictures would be my ideal! Oh yes and able to take video until the memory card is full.
I liked the look of the optio and see that there is to be a new A10 and E 10, one of those has anti shake which i though might be good were I in low light.What else? Oh yes, small enough to fit in my purse to take to parties please! As I say , I am no expert, just want clear pctures to email and print and avoid red eye. Thank you for any advice.
aileenw. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 22, 2006, 11:53 PM   #2

do not ask these volunteers why they haven't responded to you.

thrust me or else you are going to wind up likeme, hated by all.

about your camera, the only one i can think of is the lumix fx9 that has image stabilization but it has no viewfinder. but its going to look cool at the parties you go to. lol

dont worry you'll get better responses then this soon from someone who know what they're talking about
kajtek123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2006, 11:55 PM   #3
Administrator

aileenw. wrote:
Quote:
As I say ,I am no expert, just want clear pctures to email and print and avoid red eye.
The worst offenders for redeye are gong to be smaller cameras with the flash located close to their lens. All else being equal (and it never is), the closer the flash is to the lens (as with subcompact camera models), the greater the potential for redeye.

The best way to avoid it is with an external flash. But, a larger camera that has a flash located further away from the lens is one way to compromise versus an external flash.

So, finding a subcompact model without any redeye in all conditions is going to be tough.

I'd read through each model's review here, paying close attention to the review conclusion sections. You'll also find some flash photos in the sample images from each model. But, just because redeye is low at one flash range, doesn't mean it will be low at another, and lighting conditions will impact redeye, too.

You're probably better off trying to use an editor to correct it when it occurs, if you really want a smaller camera.

You may want to check out some of the cameras in the Best Cameras List, too. These are the choices deemed to be a good value within a given market niche.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/best_cameras.html

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2006, 12:04 AM   #4

Dear Jimc,
Thank you for that instant reply!I did wonder if it would affect the red eye if the flash was near the lense so that is good to know.yes i have been reading all the reviews on the best cameras.
I suppose I just want someome to say"there you go dear.. thiss what you want!"I have been reading this forum since the start of the year and as soon as I think one camera is the answer I read about another!
Many people seem to recommend Canon.. my daughter has one and loves it. We are going to mexico at easter so i expect to be shooting in bright sunlight which is a reason for an optical viewfinder(I think).Also I shall be taking outdoor scenery shots. My husband has a Nikon DSLR but I am the one who always has a camera with me.. hence going a bit more compact. I do use Iphoto to edit on my mac and also Kodakeasyshare softwear so I can edit red eye.However when i do this I seem to get a rather scary "shark's" eye effect of black lifeless eyes! I just wondered if any smaller ones were better than others for this. I was emailed phots from the pentaxoptio which had not been edited and they seemed to have no redeye. Thank you for your time with my pedantic questions. I looked in Barnes and Noble for a good"which" type mag on digital cameras but they had none and could not suggest any.
aileenw. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2006, 12:38 AM   #5
Administrator

Yes, correcting redeye with some tools can be a challenge if you want the corrections to look natural.

My favorite tool for doing fast corrections is Irfanview (free from http://www.irfanview.com ). It's got a menu choice for redeye reduction under Image, Effects, Effects Browser.

It lets you vary the amount of correction after you select the area of the eye using your mouse cursor, with a preview function that lets you see it before it's applied. I make sure to zoom in to 100% first before selecting the eyes for better control of the redeye correction area.

But, I'm not familiar with tools available for Mac.

Most redeye reduction tools work OK on typical redeye. But, for the tough to correct redeye (not the exact shade of red the tools are looking for and/or other reflectons mixed in), most tools can leave a lot to be desired.

You can use a more sophisticated editor to give you more control, doing things like desaturating the red or replacing it with other colors. But, that takes a lot more time and skill compared the fast redeye reduction features you'll find.

Since you mentioned Nikon models, they did come out with some models with built in redeye correction a while back. But, they would sometimes lock onto other elements in the frame that looked similar to redeye, and I've seen some complaints that the correction didn't look natural.

The range to your subject can make a difference, too. You often get less redeye at closer ranges compared to further ranges.

Redeye reduction flash modes also help (to a point), by using a preflash, or series of flashes before the main flash to help shrink a subject's pupils so that redeye is not as obvious. But, redeye reduction flash modes can be irritating to subjects, and can also cause facial expressions to change when you use these modes.

So, I prefer to leave redeye reduction flash modes turned off and just correct redeye later when it occurs, even if it's worse when redeye reduction flash modes are disabled.

If it's that big of a deal to you, you may want to make sure you use a camera's redeye reduction flash mode to help minimize it.

Again, there is no easy way to tell how one model compares to another, unless you compare them in the same conditions, and even then, one model may better in a given set of conditions, with another model better in other conditions or at different flash ranges.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote