Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 23, 2006, 4:31 PM   #1

We had an old Nikon coolpix 2000(?) (2 mp) that was slow.We replaced it with a Sony -W7. Well that lasted until my wife took it swimming, litterally. It's deah was just as well as my wife hated it ( blurrd images, big red eye, shutter lag not much faster than old Nikon). so I need to buy a new camera. Prioities are little shutter lag, very good red eye reduction, NO blurred images, at least 5 mp. please give me your suggestions. size is not abig deal, no slr, but don't need credit card size. Thanks Steven
steven766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 23, 2006, 4:43 PM   #2

Either Canon S2 IS or Canon A610. both incredible cameras (have experience with both).. The S2 is larger than the two, has 12x zoom and stereo sound.
vwmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2006, 4:50 PM   #3

The A620 is awesome, and will give you great pictures. The S2IS is a great camera, but may be too large for the casual picture taker.
Homer J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2006, 4:51 PM   #4

S2 is a great camera. Image stabilization, big zoom and a pop up flash to helps with little red eye (the closer the flash to the lens, the more red eye you get) Its not a compact camera though. Do you want manual features? or is point and shoot what you are going for? I love the SD line of canon.
VAtechtigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2006, 4:53 PM   #5

For my wife I am looking for a fully auto camera, I as looking at the A620, but wanted to poll the world.
steven766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2006, 4:56 PM   #6

Steven-

The new Kodak Z7630 has been very well received and has received excellent reviews. It has low shutter lag, 6.0mp, and is very easy to use. I think it might be worth a look. Even at a 100% crop these phots aretack sharp and have great color.In the last year or so Kodak has been providing excellent cameras. I have attached a flash exposure (sorry about the closed eyes) and a typical landscape photo.

MT

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2006, 6:45 PM   #7

I don't have many from the 610 on my computer anymore (had it over Christmas, then upgraded to the S2)... Here's a couple shots from the 610 and S2.. I'll label them per shot..

All pretty low light (the one with the computer and my eldest son only has a lamp).

A610
Attached Images

Old Feb 23, 2006, 6:47 PM   #8

S2 IS

Attached Images

Old Feb 23, 2006, 6:48 PM   #9

A610
Attached Images

Old Feb 23, 2006, 6:51 PM   #10

This was at a monstertruck show.. full zoom.. action.. LOTS of dust in the air obvioulsy.

You can view more pics here:

http:www.imageevent.com/vwmom .. Some of the shots I don't love, but I'm still learning with the camera.

The one big difference I've learned from the S2 and 610, is that I had a lot more redeye to fix on the 610. Though still better than my old Sony.
Attached Images