Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 23, 2006, 5:32 PM   #1

I've been window shopping for a digital camera, and have narrowed it down to the Panasonic F7 or the Canon S2. I like that the F7 has an extra megapixel, but all the reviews I've been reading is noise being a negative for the camera. I like the fact that the S2 has a swivel LCD, but the price was a little too steep...until now. Just checked a very reputable website that is selling the S2 for $379.99, but it's only for a few more hours. If you had to choose between the two cameras, which would you choose?
fatalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 25, 2006, 8:47 PM   #2

I wasn't able to take advantage of the price drop on the Canon S2, so now I have some more time to consider which camera would be the better buy. After reading Steve's review on the Panasonic FZ7, I'm excited about this camera. It definitely sounds like it will give a "better bang for your buck." I justhave a few questions that I hope I can get some feedback on to either reinforce or rethinkmy decision:

1) When comparing it to the Canon S2, would you consider the overall picture quality on the FZ7 to be better than the S2? I realize that there has been a lot of talk about the amount of noise of the FZ7 at higher ISO levels, but I don't think that will be that big of an issue for me. I'm a novice when it comes to technical terms such as noise, but between the two cameras, is there reallythat much of adifference?

2) When taking a look at the previews of the FZ7, I thought the battery used would be a CR-V3. To my surprise, the FZ7 takes another Panasonic proprietary battery. Are there any concerns in having a camera that uses a proprietary battery? I know that proprietary batteries tend to be harder to find and are a bit more expensive, butare there any other disadvantages?

Thanks in advance for your comments!
fatalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2006, 9:08 PM   #3

I've had both. My preference is the FZ7.
dequardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2006, 10:11 PM   #4

I've been pretty turned off of Panasonics in regards to batteries. I just recently sold my Pany camcorder for this reason. They stopped making batteries.. It would have cost me nearly 200 bucks for an aftermarket 'no name' battery that likely would have been fake anyway.. I sold it and for a couple hundred more bought a new cam.

As for the S2.. yes, it takes AA's. I love this camera. The movie mode is incredible.. actually has better sound than my camcorder, go figure. The swivel LCD is great.. protects the lcd too.. you can turn it around and 'hide' it.

As for noise.. It's basically little black dots or yellowish blotches that appear on the photo.. Be concerned, because if you wanted to enlarge it, it will show up on the photo. The S2 has been good to me in low light at medium ISO.. you just need to set it up correctly.

Keep an eye on the S2 prices.. the S3 was just announced, so the S2 will undoubtly go cheaper. Check out for places that have price guarentees.. these can be from 30-even 90 days.
vwmom is offline   Reply With Quote