Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 23, 2006, 7:41 PM   #1

Seems to be a fine DSLR but why does such companies dive into water where sharks are ??

Take a look
Idan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 23, 2006, 7:58 PM   #2

Why not? Its not like they made the camera in the first place. Samsung is one of the fastest/biggest growing korean company and why not try to take advantage of it? Its a partnership that they have with pentax, I remember reading somewhere that they have something that pentax could use and pentax have something that they could use.
superakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2006, 8:01 PM   #3

Lets see.. they've nearly invented new names for a lot of things.. I'm imagining it will be cheap compared to other dslrs.. A few companies are doing this.. I have NO idea how well they sell.. but they gotta jump in sooner or later right?..

I bought a Samsung phone a while back that crapped out on me.. I won't touch it now..lol
vwmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2006, 10:11 PM   #4

I'm impressed by some of the features on the camera, andam dissapointed with others. It all comes down to how muchthe camera costs. My guess is it will be inbeetween $900-1100 USD, in with the rebel XT.

ISO 3200- a big plus.

2.8 fps- That should be hidden, notboasted about. No matter what the price is, thats bad.

11 point Autofoucus-That will be a nice feature.

16 split photometry system-I'm going to guess this is evaluative metering?The Rebel XT has 35 zones, so it seems to be pretty sad.

2.5 inch, 210,000 pixel,LCD- This is a welcome feature.

x.95 magnificatonpentiprism viewfinder- If it falls in the Rebel XT price range, this will be a nice atvantage over thex.8 pentimirrror viewfinder in the XT.

Pentax lenses- Not as many options are offered as the Rebel XT for lenses. Not good.

Size- It will be larger than the XT,which could be apositive or a negative, depending bon the user.

If your takingindoor pictures, there is some distinct atvantages the samsung will have over the RebelXT. But for sports,theRebel XT is better.

Homer J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2006, 12:01 AM   #5

I'm not sure that having the Pentax lens system is a big disadvantage. After all, if you can't afford new, auto focus lenses, you can always get old manual lenses and they will work without a problem (as manual lenses). Some of those old lenses have really nice glass (says a person who ishappily using a couple of lenses that are 20-25 years old on a DS).

I'm guessing that it will be in the same price range as the Pentax DS2 was - more like $700-800 USD, maybe cheaper? It could be a good buy, especially since it is supposed to be made by Pentax.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2006, 5:41 AM   #6

Guys, just check it out, it is a Pentax DS2, only the name plates have been changed. Even the "Lens(D-XENON 18-55mm), Lens(D-XENON 50-200mm), " may say "Schneider - KREUZNACH" but they are clearly relabelled Pentax DA lenses (can't speak for coatings, etc.).

Personally I see nothing wrong with this, to start Samsung is only selling badge-engineered cameras, but in time Samsung electronic technology and Pentax camera and optical technology may result in a great camera system.

As for X vs. Y brand arguments, lets see... the worst DSLR currently on the market is merely fantastic in image quality, need I say more?

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2006, 6:32 PM   #7

I wasn't going to exactly say that, but as I looked at the photos, it sure looked familiar! There was talk that all of a sudden the DS2 cameras had disappeared. Perhaps this is where they all went - they got re-badged as Samsung? By the way, the DS isn't much different, and I really love mine.

P.S. I had a Samsung phone for several years and only replaced it because I wanted something that had bluetooth capabilities. I wouldn't hesitate to buy this camera, especially since it's made by Pentax.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote