Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 24, 2006, 1:23 AM   #1

I need to purchase a digital camera for a project I will be starting March. (I obviously should have looked at cameras a little earlier than the, but there is nothing to do about that now.)

I'll be using it mostly indoors to take still pictures of a person, about 3/4 height (4-5 ft or 135cm). The colors need to be accurate, and it needs to be able to display lines clearly for graph paper placed behind. The blurring that is caused by heavy JPEG compression in some cameras really irritates me. Any pictures will be at the maximum quality settings available. I figure 5MP would work fine for seeing details?

After the 3 month project, I will likely just be using the camera for regular stuff. Taking on trips and at parties or whatever, so I want one that will fit easily in my pockets. I'm a guy, so my pockets are larger and I shouldn't need an Ultra Compact. Edges or lenses that stick out would be a no-no for my pockets though. Also, a zoom is always handy. I guess 3x zoom is pretty standard?

I would like my budget to be max of $300, including whatever storage I need to purchase.

Also, I'm not a photographer by any stretch. I'm more like the guy that you ask to take a picture of you with your family and doesn't screw up. I can frame a picture fine, but no nothing about photography theory.
pamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 24, 2006, 1:42 AM   #2

While we are one of the most popular websites on the internet, because we are all volunteers we probably cannot react/respond on such shortm term notice. I m sure that everyone will attempt their best. But please, no guarantees.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2006, 1:49 AM   #3

Perhaps a Casio Z-120. It is AA battery powered, small and very pocketable while offering a full 7.0mp and selling within your budget.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2006, 11:54 AM   #4

Thanks, any help is very appreciated. I didn't mean to sound demanding, I just tend to get to the point very quickly.

Casio, eh? I didn't really even think of them as a camera maker. Shows what I know. If no one has anything else to suggest, I guess that is my camera.
pamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2006, 6:09 PM   #5

I have a Casio Z110 and it's one helluva a camera. Turns on really quickly and has negligible shutter lag. Also, autofocus in low light condition is no problem, even though it doesn't have an assist light. It also has a number of manual settings includingfocus.I'd recommend it and the Z120. ..Willy.
sneakyweasel is offline   Reply With Quote