Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 24, 2006, 2:27 PM   #1

Hello. First off, this is an incredible resource..thanks to whoever maintains it.

I had a Pentax Optio 330RS which served me quite nicely for the past two years, until someone stole it. My prinicipal photography shots are outdoors, as I live in the rocky mountains and go hiking each summer weekend. My price range is 150-300 bucks (ebay helps in getting a bit of a break and getting a better model). And I have a macintosh, so i need Iphoto compatibility.

I guess my question is, are megapixels above 4.0 really necessary if you don't ever shoot movies, or print photos larger than 5x7 or the occasional 8x10? What else should I be looking at? I notice now that most of the cameras in that range take AA batteries, where my Optio 330 had a rechargable battery that lasted forever.

Any recommendations would be terrific. I'm currently tracking on ebay the Pentax Optio S60 and the Canon A520 powershot (would 150 be a good price for this)

If I've been longwinded, I apologize. have a great weekend all.

Greg
greg1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 24, 2006, 4:53 PM   #2

greg1701 wrote:
Quote:

I guess my question is, are megapixels above 4.0 really necessary if you don't ever shoot movies, or print photos larger than 5x7 or the occasional 8x10?

Not really. You should be just fine with 4 MP's. The A520 is great, but if your looking in the $150-300 range, theA610 is a good camera to look at. it's got canons newer D!GC! 2 processor (faster, better battery life) ,and a flip out LCD.
Homer J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2006, 7:14 PM   #3

I would agree hands down. The Canon A610 is a wonderful cam.
vwmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2006, 10:10 AM   #4

Is the 610/620 worth the price jump over the 520? the price on amazon for the 520 right now is insanely good....i dont print anything bigger than a very occasional 8x11...
Old Feb 25, 2006, 12:41 PM   #5

The 610 and 620 are going to be a LOT faster. They both have the Digic II proccessor.. The comparison on shutter lag, etc.. is amazing. You have more options on the 610 and 620 including color modes, flip lcd and a larger sensor. SERIOULSY the difference is worth the jump in price. Personally I would look for something other than the 520 in that price range. The 520 has been reviewed as a 'budget cam' in many places.
Old Feb 25, 2006, 2:16 PM   #6

the 610 is about a hundred more on amazon...is it worth the price jump? I worry that since most of my pics are outdoors (mountains), that the swing out lcd screen might fail quicker than just a regular camera...:O
Old Feb 25, 2006, 3:07 PM   #7

How would it fail?.. it will likely last longer. It flips around flat to use like a standard one.. or flips around for closed protection.

If you want to save money.. then go with the 520.. you're going to get less for image quality and speed. You're buying it.. up to u.