Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 25, 2006, 4:51 PM   #11
Administrator

DJMic wrote:
Quote:
Thanks Jim what do you think of the Nikon D50 for a beginner?
It's a very good camera, as are the other similar entry level models (KM Maxxum 5D, Canon Rebel XT).

Try one out in a store to see if you like it. You want to make sure you're comfortable with your choice (viewfinder, ergonomics, control layout, etc.).

The Nikon also has some unique features like a 1/500 second flash sync speed. This allows you to use a flash in brighter conditions at larger apertures than you can with other models without going to an external flash with a special mode to allow faster sync speeds. This can come in handy if you want to use fill flash outdoors with larger apertures.

I wouldn't mind having this feature on my KM 5D. But, I wouldn' trade my 5D's anti-shake and ISO 3200 for it. ;-)

In most conditions, your skill as a photographer will be more important compared to the differences between these models, and each user is going to have preferences in a camera.

Also, keep size and weight in mind when camera shopping. You may not want to lug a DSLR with you all the time, and it's been my experience that the larger and heavier the camera, the more likely you'll leave it at home.

Sure, there are advantages to one in many conditions, and if you want to learn more about photography and bring out the best in your images, it's the best way to go.

But, that doesn't mean that the non-DSLR models can't take nice photos, too.

Any choice is a compromise.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2006, 5:12 PM   #12

What does anti-shake come in handy? Which camera is that or is that a lens option?
DJMic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2006, 5:25 PM   #13
Administrator

DJMic wrote:
Quote:
What does anti-shake come in handy?
Anti-shake allows you to take photos at much slower shutter speeds than you can without a tripod. It gives you about 2 or 3 stops extra.

That means that you might need shutter speeds from 4 to 8 times as fast without it in the same conditions with other models without a tripod, after you reach the limits of another model's ISO speed for the apertures available with the lens being used.

The rule of thumb is that you need shutter speeds of 1/focal length or faster to prevent blur from camera shake. For example, if you're shooting at 50mm, you may need 1/50 second, or if you're shooting 100mm, you may need 1/100 second. This is only a rule of thumb, as some people can hold a camera steadier than others (and some may require even faster shutter speeds to prevent blur).

In some conditions, you may not be able to get shutter speeds that fast, due to limitations in available ISO speeds or the maximum available aperture of a lens. That's where anti-shake comes in.

If you don't let the camera leave the shutter open long enough, you'll get dark (underexposed images). So, in some conditions, a tripod is required to prevent blur from camera shake.

Anti-shake helps you to exceed those limits by a considerable margin.

Anti-shake won't help you to reduce blur from subject movement (you need higher ISO speeds with a brighter lens for that), but it's a very nice feature to have. Also, you have ISO speeds up to ISO 3200 with a KM DSLR like the 5D, allowing shutter speeds up to twice as fast as a camera like a D50 anyway to help combat blur from subject movement, with equivalent lenses. So, you've got high ISO speeds *and* anti-shake with a KM DSLR.

You can get stabilized lenses for other models. For example, Nikon has VR (Vibration Reduction) lenses designed for this purpose. But, they add considerable cost to a lens, and this feature is not available in many lenses (for example, you can't get it in any bright primes).

With a Konica Minolta DSLR model like the Maxxum 5D or 7D, you get anti-shake with every lens, since it's built into the camera body. You can't get that with any other brand of DSLR.

But, due to the recent KM/Sony announcements (no more Konica Minolta cameras, with any future models made by Konica Minolta being sold under the Sony brand), many dealers have already sold out. Sony will be launching DSLR models using the same lens mount this summer, and intends to try and capture 25% of the DSLR market.

So, I wouldn't wait too long to get one if you decide that it's a good choice for your needs, unless you can wait on future Sony models using the same technology (they're selling out fast).

Old Feb 25, 2006, 5:34 PM   #14

Wow so many things to consider and ponder. With all this said as a beginner I like the look and feel of the both Minolta 5D and Nikon D50 but just can't decide which one is going to be a better camera for me.
Old Feb 25, 2006, 5:42 PM   #15
Administrator

DJMic wrote:
Quote:
Wow so many things to consider and ponder. With all this said as a beginner I like the look and feel of the both Minolta 5D and Nikon D50 but just can't decide which one is going to be a better camera for me.
They are both good cameras.

The 5D is going to have an advantage in low light. But, most users aren't going to try and take photos in light as low as I do anyway without a flash or tripod. :-)

The 5D will also have some advantages in less than optimum lighting outdoors in some conditions if you don't want to use a tripod (again, thanks to anti-shake -- especially at longer focal lengths, since camera shake is magnified as more optical zoom is used).

BTW, here are some good articles on the KM 7D that you may want to read through by Mike Johnston (a professinal photographer and writer):

He was so impressed with his 7D that he devotedsome of hisweekly Sunday Morning Photographer articles to it.

Catch the Rave!

The Tale told by Two Pictures

Old Feb 25, 2006, 5:54 PM   #16

Yes but that 7D does look even better but out of my budget.
Old Feb 25, 2006, 5:55 PM   #17
Administrator

DJMic wrote:
Quote:
Yes but that 7D does look even better but out of my budget.
The 5D has the same anti-shake feature (and IMO, it's got a slight image quality advantage at higher ISO speeds, too).

Old Feb 26, 2006, 1:35 AM   #18

Well I just found a Nikon D70 on ebay that might go cheap but it has 8,839 shutter clicks is that alot for these cameras?

Still deciding between the Nikon D50 (D70 if right price)or Minolta 5D (7D if right price)
Old Feb 26, 2006, 6:27 AM   #19
Administrator

DJMic wrote:
Quote:
Well I just found a Nikon D70 on ebay that might go cheap but it has 8,839 shutter clicks is that alot for these cameras?
You'll need to decide. But, the D50 probably has better noise characteristics as ISO speeds are increased compared to the D70 from charts I've seen measuring it.

Ditto for the 7D (although the noise curve appears about the same as the 5D with this one, the 5D may retain a bit more detail as ISO speeds are increased).

Old Feb 26, 2006, 7:56 AM   #20

Bang for the buck (I guess that means fun versus dollars spent), I would imagine the 5D is a very good value.

However if you were thinking of upgrading your camera in the future, then you'd want to take your lenses along with you.

Over time, if you should end up like many of us here, you could have several lenses in your collection, with $1-2,000 easily invested in lenses alone.

The Konica Minolta specific lens mount has been taken over by Sony I believe, so if you buy the KM and want to upgrade, your betting on Sony continuing to manufacture DSLR's with a KM mount and making a DSLR in the future that you'd be interested in.

Nikon and Canon, however, are firmly entrenched in the pro arena, so there will always be an upgrade path in the future.

Some lenses that fit on these cameras are "digital" oriented, ie only work on a digital camera with an APS sized sensor.

If the future, the DSLR industry may move towards "full frame" ie larger 35mm sensors.

If your next DSLR after this purchase is "full frame" then you won't be able to use the lenses you buy for this camera (the 5D, D50 or the rebel xt).

So, when you make your camera choice, don't just think about now, but think about the future.

The KM, Nikon and Canon (rebel, in your price range) are all excellent cameras with unique features and ergonomics.

Probably best to get your hands on one of each at a photo store, and see how they feel to you.

In the long run, you're buying into a "system". Should you decide to switch from one system to another, it gets expensive if you have already made a lens investment one system and then try toswitch to another system.

Selling all your lenses (or try to sell them with the body your trying to get rid of) usually will result in some financial loss.

As for myself, I went the Canon route.

There's no one correct answer for every one, but make sure you've though it out, and handled the cameras in question so you're not suprised.

-- Terry

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote