Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 26, 2006, 4:16 PM   #11
E.T

thkn777 wrote:
Quote:
Is there a camera which fits my needs AND have some wide angle? Like a 28mm equivalent etc? Would be very handy indoors when you can't step back to get a full view and so on - and for quick landscapes/everyday pics...
Forget super/ultrazooms, those generally lack whole wide angle end... (how 38mm sounds?)
Fuji S9500 is about only exception with its 28-300mm.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2006, 2:55 AM   #12

@ET
Well... I already have a 10x zoom digicam - no need to have another one I'd say. So I'd be fine with 3x zoom or the like BUT was asking about more wide angle. So not the usual 38mm-105mm or something like this but 28mm-70mm or so.

Sorry if I didn't made it clear in my post.

Yes - I saw the S9000/S9500. Interesting cam, indeed.
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2006, 11:11 AM   #13
E.T

Those few Ricohs are one of the rare pocket cameras with 28mm wide angle, but those are about pure point&"prays" without any manual settings.

Panasonic LX1 has 16:9 CCD which gives 28mm FOV in horizontal direction but that aspect ratio is again equally hard for printing...

Canon Powershot S70/80 models have 28mmm.

Kodak V570 has interestingly second CCD behind fixed 23mm lens but apparently they have "straightened in corners" because of cost caused by two lens/CCDs design... and again pure point&pray.
http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/ko...ew/index.shtml

But IMO in all those pocket cams manual controls are implemented barely usefully in every case...
From bigger non-ultrazoom cameras KonicaMinolta A200 has 28-200mm and Kodak P880 24-140mm.

For focusing saying anything solid is hard, except that in lower light and with more zooming all focuse slower and much depends on is there contrasty edges and how much camera is "shaked". Some cameras use some kind active focusing assist but working distance of those is limited. Also if there's different focusing modes those can affect greatly to speed and reliability of focusing, I can guarantee that!
(I have KM A2 whose default mode, wide area focus, is real randomizer which tries to focus to tree branches/grass near frame's edge while there's clear target in center, but point/spot focus mode is fast and works realiable even in dimmer inside lightning)

So it would be best if you had chance to test focusing speeds in shop to see what those are in practise. (also cameras of friends are good testing)

PS. All non-SLRs are without interchangeable lens... except chance of using converters.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote