Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 1, 2006, 10:51 AM   #21

Quote:
rjseeney, in one senseyou're right of course that one can't create sharpness that isn't there. But digital imaging software and processes CAN get a lot more sharpness out of a standard image that comes straight out of a DSLR, because a DSLR on purpose doesn't try to get very sharp photos to minimise getting any artifacts. But computer software is more complex and able to gain sharpness without getting artifacts so quickly.
Thanks for stating this a little more clearer. I was referring more to soft focus and shortcomings of lenses. I agree, that DSLR images are a "less processed" by the camera and nead some sharpening. I, for one, leave sharpness settings set to the minimum amount in camera, and do all sharpening via software. In order to get a quality image, exposure, focus, and composition should be gotten right in camera. Software cannot make a bad image good, and recovery from missing one of the key details, especially focus is limited at best.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2006, 10:51 AM   #22

cheers Paul good info, although saying it can ALL be fixed in PP might be a bit wrong... head over to the Olympus forum to view some images that photoshop will not fix (and to hear lots of groans about softness)
audioedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2006, 10:56 AM   #23

rjseeney wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for stating this a little more clearer. I was referring more to soft focus and shortcomings of lenses. I agree, that DSLR images are a "less processed" by the camera and nead some sharpening. I, for one, leave sharpness settings set to the minimum amount in camera, and do all sharpening via software. In order to get a quality image, exposure, focus, and composition should be gotten right in camera. Software cannot make a bad image good, and recovery from missing one of the key details, especially focus is limited at best.
Thanks rjseeney, for understanding what I wrote... I was a bit worried I was coming across "MR know all" and heavy-handed. You're totally right, the best is to get settings right in camera (in the shot!) because often post-processing can't fix everything!

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2006, 10:57 AM   #24

audioedge wrote:
Quote:
cheers Paul good info, although saying it can ALL be fixed in PP might be a bit wrong... head over to the Olympus forum to view some images that photoshop will not fix (and to hear lots of groans about softness)
Yeah, I don't mean that all can be fixed in PP. You're correct audioedge, and I am sure it's not only the Olympus forum folk who will struggle with some images that can't be fixed!! :-) All the best

Paul
Old Mar 1, 2006, 1:11 PM   #25

Thanks everyone for this kind of information-exchanging. This is real forum and one can learn lot of by reading...then practice....

and thanks onceagain

Zak
ZAKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2006, 12:22 PM   #26

my opinion is this: d50 was released 2 months after 350d. So obviously nikon do some work to put d50 above (or very close) to 350d. it would have been suicide not to do so because any significant difference kills nikon's project. In the end....it's all about taste.
ernest2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2006, 9:29 AM   #27

2 questions:

1. Can I use Nikon AF 50mm f1.8 lens to both model: Nikon d50 and Canon eos 350d asa lens for portrait shooting

2. can you post here or send me by mail([email protected]) some photo takenwith kit lens in order to see the differance how much sharpen are images of both model Nikon d50 and Canon eos 350D.I would appriciate if the photos are taken from 0.5m distance with flash so that could be comparative. It is better to send on mail with much bigger size so that comparation could be possible.

Thanks

Zak
Old Mar 5, 2006, 10:00 PM   #28

Hi Zak,

1. I do not know for sure, but I would think that a Nikon AF 50mm f1.8 lens does NOT fit on the Canon 350D! That would seem to contradict the fact that nikon and canon lenses are from different companies. Otherwise I guess we would hear many more people using Canon lenses on Nikons and visa versa.

2. I would suggest you do some research on internet sites which did a technical review of each of the cameras Nikon D50 and Canon 350D, that is the best way to get a most unbiased and technical breakdown of each camera for comparison. But really BOTH cameras are very good, possible to get fantastic results with each. More important is the skill and practise of the user.

Paul
Old Mar 6, 2006, 8:43 AM   #29

Thanks Paul for Reply.

For the first point I found answer and it is not possible to mount the same lens on both model: Canon for Canon Nikon for Nikon only.

Considering the point 2 I'm sooooo close to buy and pretty sure about Canon eos 350d. The Price now is excellent and it is 50 eur less than Nikod D50.

Hope in few days will have in my hand and will reply you about impressions as you are the owner of the same one.

Regards Zak
Old Mar 6, 2006, 10:48 PM   #30

Hei Zadk, I realy like your English by the way. I have been looking at the Nikon D50 as well. Let us know what camera and lense you get and how you like them. C.W.
dwtbone is offline   Reply With Quote