Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 7, 2006, 2:59 AM   #31

Zak, hope your purchase goes well (you must be getting excited!)

You wrote that the Canon 350D is €50 (fifty euros) LESS than the Nikon D50. This is unusual... I'm just "warning" you to be sure you get the Canon 350D (Digital Rebel XT) and NOT the 300D (Digital Rebel)! Some shops / places try to (or accidentally) confuse the customer between 2! I just say this because usually (in all places I've seen) the Nikon D50 is CHEAPER than the Canon 350D!

Well, I look forward to hearing how it went and your first impressions and to see some posted photos.

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2006, 1:42 PM   #32

Hi,

so today I'm new owner of Canon eos 350D kit + 50mm 1.8 additional lens and 1024MB memory card....in total 910 eur. It was true, Canon is 50eur less than Nikon D50 kit + I save 15 eur on additional lens in consideration to Nikon 50mm 1.8 lens.

my impressionspecially for dwtbone and for everyone is that the body is looking excellent, good surface and looking better than Nikon d50...although it is true that is smaller and the small finger will be out of the camera. The handgrip should be just begger (not longer) so that will make much better holding the camera and the point of small finger beeing out of the camera would not be problem.

The batery is little small so I'm waiting to see what is the life of batery and I needed only 2,5 hours to charge it.

Strange thing: No English manual instruction but German, Italian and Franch..???????Although there is English but only on CD not book.

The cable that conect camera to computer is very thin. My last one that I use for NIkon 8700 is way too much stronger.

In packing I received: CD instruction manual, photo studio CD, drivers CD for Mac and Windows, and DVD concerning the Canon EF lens with history and lens gallery. Among CD's there were batery with charger, books of manual instructions, cable for computer connection, TV conecting cable, printer connecting cable, carrier... and I supose did not forget anything.

Camera is very light.

The kit lens 18-55 are for the first look not so tight...when I start to turn around to 18 , then 24...to 55 It felt like the front part of the lens will drop down...but I supose there are normal that way.

That all for now. Only first outside look without shoots.

Hope to show new photos with this camera very soon...

Zak
ZAKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2006, 2:12 PM   #33

Hi Zak,

Congratulations with your new toy! Well, for 910 Euros, you should be happy with it!

I had to smile at your excitement and the mini "Zak review" of it... similar to Steve's review but not quite as in depth! :-) My humour!

The 18-55 lens is not the most solid / robustly built lens, and for that matter the 50mm f1.8 is similarly not the "top quality" in strength. But both seem adequate and both can make good photos.

When I bought my Canon 350D a few months ago it was very exciting... but I had too much work to do to really use it as much as I wanted. I'm looking forward to the summer when the weather is better and I'll take some holiday time to go for walks and also use the camera more.

Looking forward to seeing your photos sometime (I guess soon!) :blah: All the best

Paul
Old Mar 9, 2006, 2:19 PM   #34

...He He HE....smiling...:G..I like to bring out somebody's smile......but I was just answering to DWTBONE as he was interesting in something similar to buy.....nevertheless, I was not trying to copy Steve's comments......thanks for comparation.....:blah:....

Finally I found the english manual instreuction on the Net since it was not on CD...strange....there was manual instruction for software but not for camera........

Now I'm back to learning chair and hope soon to show some photos......

this camera doesn't have much similar to Nikon camera that I used...I mean in Manu or such things......but let's get started.....

should I need some advice I will ask.......you heard me Paul...... you have the same one, so hope you will be cooperative....:P

Zak
ZAKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2006, 5:08 PM   #35

Hey, sure I understand you were given us (especially dwtbone) your impressions! Appreciated!

Well I hope you'll get a chance to use the camera after reading the manual / learning about it. I'm sure you will....! :-)

Can't I use the excuse I'm away on holiday if you ask too many questions? :blah:

All the best

Paul