Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 25, 2006, 8:54 AM   #1

Hi, now I'm prepared to buy a new camera.

Since the money is very much important I'm wondering about the following cameras with lens that goes as as kit packing what to buy.

Nikon D50 = 800 eur kit

Nikon D70s = 1025 kit

I want to know what is advantage of D70s over D50 in quality of photos and performance and is it worth to buy d70s over d50 as the 225 eur diferance. Is that much differance considering the money between two models and guality of the photos between them.

Could I save the money by buying D50 and for the rest of money buy external flash(SB600) or another lans....

Please do not mind how the camera feels in hand just the guality of image and performance.

Thanks and all comments are more than welcome

Zak
ZAKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 25, 2006, 9:30 AM   #2

The D50 is hard to beat at its price. You do sacrifice some control (only one command dial) and flexibility (only 4 iso stops, no remote flash commander). Image quality wise, the D50 is on par with the D70 except at higher iso's where it is better than the D70.

For studio work, I would say the D70 is the better choice because of the extra control and the fact that you won't be using Iso's over 400. For general photography, every day carry around, I would choose the D50.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2006, 7:19 AM   #3

Thanks really for your reply,

Additional question is what lens could I buy instead of the ones that comes in kit and that should be good for portrait shots as the main target of my interest (ussually in studio).

Also I will need this lens for some casual shooting while traveling or some fine natural but this is the second purpose, the main is portraits,... or the one that comes in kit are as good as I could need.....

Zak
Old Feb 26, 2006, 9:33 AM   #4

The kit lenses are solid, if unremarkable performers. The 50mm f/1.8 is an excellent lens and can be had for under $100USD. Its so good, and so inexpensive, no Nikon photographer should be without it. Also, with the crop factor, it becomes a 75mm...nearly the classic portrait focal length of 85mm. Nikon also has an 85mm, but that is a more expensive (more than $300 used) option.

I think the kit lenses with the thrifty 50 are a good starting point for most photographers, regardless of subject matter.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2006, 1:58 PM   #5

Yes, lot of peoples suggest me 50m f1.8 lens for portrait...thanks..

Is it possible and is it wise to put on D50 the kit lens that go with D70s kit instead of the one that goes with D50 kit

Zak
Old Feb 26, 2006, 3:50 PM   #6

Zak,

Yes it is possible to use the 18-70mm DX lens (which came out as "kit lens" with D70s) with the D50. (I hope this is what you meant, your English wasn't totally clear but I understand it's hard if English isn't your first language.)

The 18-70mm DX is definitely a superior lens to the 18-55mm kit lens of the D50. Not just reach, but also build and optically. Of course the 18-70mm is more expensive (about twice as much as the 18-55mm usually)...

You should get good results with either lens, even the kit lens performs quite ok. Either Nikon or lens should improve your photos and skills, though you do quite a good job with your current camera.

All the best

Paul

pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2006, 4:20 PM   #7

Yes you are right...that is what I was wandering. And I do not mind so much knowing english from the book as I'm sure that the people from the forum did not had problems understanding the point....hope to be the same in the future...

Still would like to improve my english but you need time to practice a little...and when you have two jobs to do (one is the national company where I work and second after that at home) you just do not have enough time......:?

Anyhow, I thank you for approving my thinking and would consider 18-70mm DX lens from D70s.

Do you know what is that price you were talking.....???

Regards

P.S. In couple of weeks I might visit your town as the company where I work making some cooperation with some agricultural firm known as "SC Tehnofavorit SA Bontida-Cluj" and "University of Agricultural Sciences Cluj-Napoca"...

Zak

Old Feb 26, 2006, 5:52 PM   #8

Hi Zak,

Hey your English is quite good, hope I wasn't offensive.

In a typical UK store (where Ibought my DSLR gear) the online prices for D50 are £348 without lens, £428 with 18-55lens and £539 with 18-70 lens.

For the lenses alone, the 18-55 costs£99 and the 18-70 lens costs £199. Note all these prices are in GB pounds, NOT Euros!

Check out www.slrgear.com for I think fairly accurate as well as representative tests and reviews of both lenses (look under Nikon zooms, obviously).

Cool you might be in Cluj in Romania where I live in a few weeks. Maybe we'll bump into each other!

Paul
Old Feb 27, 2006, 10:39 AM   #9

Thanks for the prices, I did checking by myself and 18-70 lens as a kit for D70s = 410 EUR... :?and optional for portrait shooting 50mm f1.4 = 350 eur :?

Do you think as I do, that the price differance is too small...how about the differance in lens guality??????

As I recall Paul you have Canon 350d. Are you satisfied with the camera in global, do you see your images a little bit soft???

Do you miss not having the spot mattering or the spot focus (one is missing I dont remember which one).

P.S. I'm not offensive, do not mind that...:blah:

Zak

Old Feb 27, 2006, 3:32 PM   #10

Zak,

The prices you state - do you mean that is the D70s WITH 18-70mm lens for 410 euros? If so that's a good price. And 50mm f1.4 for 350 euros (alone or with camera?) If with camera the prices seem "too good to be true!" (so beware of scams!)

The 2 lenses you wrote about are very different - I mean the 50mm f1.4 is a "low light" lens, suitable for portraits on 1.5mm crop factor Nikons. It is a quite alot more expensive than the 50mm f1.8, which you usually can get for less than half the price of the 50mm f1.4 (you're paying a lot for that extra "low light" / low f-stop possibility!) (I have the Canon 50mm f1.8).

The 18-70 is reported as a very good "kit" lens, better than the 18-55mm. The 18-55 is still quite ok..but it depends on your budget of course.

Yes, you're right I have the Canon 350D. I'm satisfied with the camera overall, yes! Very happy actually! The images are a little soft if I don't post process them. Silly me was too excited at the beginning (when I got my Canon 350D) at the possibilities - and I didn't sharpen half the photos. But now the photos I really like, I work on (e.g. use unsharp mask to get properly sharp photos, and maybe increase saturation, etc).

The Nikon 50D by default does "more" of this "processing" in camera (by itself) - which can be good to get quicker "snappier" (sharper / more saturated) photos than the Canon 350D. But on both cameras you can adjust the amounts of saturation, sharpness, etc. I prefer to have a more neutral look, which I can post process in e.g. Photoshop.

If you look at the top of the line DSLRs often the photos that come directly out of the camera are quite "soft" and "dull". But that is because they EXPECT the professional user to modify it in photoshop, and then you can get fantastic results. Photoshop obviously gives you a lot more editting / processing power and flexibility than if you try to get the camera to do everything!

No, I don't miss having the spot metering (spot "focus" doesn't exist - but the Canon does have one AF point focus, and I use that 98% of the time)! If metering is very difficult, I sometimes use "partial metering" or I use exposure bracketing to try to get a good shot. Spot metering isn't so important for me, as I said - there is anyway something "close" to spot metering (partial, at 9%).

Glad you're not offended. Best wishes.

Paul