Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 25, 2006, 9:07 PM   #1

Hello everybody,

I am new to this forum. Hoping to get some recommendations from you professional digital camera users:-)

I have been using my Canon for just over a year then I lost it on a dance floor in a club in Vegasm last weekend.:angry: I am looking for a replacement I can take with me everywhere, something small and lightweight, so I cantake snap shots/ continuous shots / movies here and there; in restaurants, while clubbing, while go hiking, snowboarding etc. So, basically a camera for both in doors and out doors and all weather conditions!! Oh, and picture quality that matches my lost camera. Any input will be greatly appreciated.
Princess Lucida is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 25, 2006, 9:55 PM   #2

Check out the SD 500/550 from canon. There not weather proof, but there great cameras, and will still hold up to a good amount of abuse.
Homer J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2006, 1:17 AM   #3

oh, Canon SD550looks similar to my S410! It has 7MP?? Do I need that? I thought I am quite happy with the 4MP of my lost camera. I have been reading most conversations on this forum since I posted it earlier, I see people suggesting Canon A520 and A 610. How will you compare them to S410? The more I look at the cameras and compare them with features and prices the more I am thinking of getting my old model. Maybe I should wait a bit more for some more new modes to come our or simply wait for the price to drop for SD550! I would like to stick with Canon though....

thank you for your time Homer J.:-)
Old Feb 26, 2006, 5:47 AM   #4

The 610 is incredible and you'd be HAPPY with it.. It's fast and takes awesome pics..
vwmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2006, 10:00 AM   #5

Tha Canon A-610 is a great camera. However, in the initial post size really seemed to be a requirement.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2006, 1:06 PM   #6

The A610 is great if you need lots of manual features a a low cost, but if you don't need all the features, the SD 550 is nicer for the condtions you described (restraunts, hiking, clubbing, snowbarding.) beacause of its size and build. The SD 550 is one of the best ultracompacts you can get.
Homer J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2006, 8:03 PM   #7

I am tempted to get a cheaper camera with quality ie. A610 but then I love the looks of SD550 because it's as you say ultracompact and there are minimal manual control.. given the situation/ location I take my pics I really don't have time to fiddle with too many manual functions!!

So, final question, do any of you own a S410 and SD550? If you do, what is the main difference of the two series? I read other reviews elsewhere as well and I seem to remember something about the S series cameras are functioning better than the SD series. Would you agree to that? I normally wouldn't mind buying a camera around $350 but if the S410 gave similar image qualities to the SD550 then I'd probably get the same model because of the cost!

Thank you all for your time.