Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 25, 2006, 9:52 PM   #1

I found this camera, normally $179.95, on sale for $99 for a short time at Fry's. Personally, I have a Canon SD450, but a friend of mine who is on a very tight budget wanted a digital to use for emailing pics of her family and for uploading pics to her My Space. Anyone try this out? It's not going to be used for anything professional, just mostly point and shoot shots of her family, etc. For some reason, it's almost impossible to find reviews or info on this camera. I am thinking it may be a new brand? Thanks in advance.
Sarah Nicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 26, 2006, 9:45 PM   #2

I never used that camera before but the Emprex brand from frys is just plain garbage. Even though I am new to photography I am not new to electronics.

If he is not planning to do any special with the camera like printing it out, then you might just be able to get a way with a $50 digital camera from walmart if he is going to buy a cheap camera. Or second hand brand name camera for about $50 on ebay.
But if he is willing to spend atleast $100 on it he can pick up an entry level kodak, hp, or olympus digital camera. Atleast they are brand name.
superakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2006, 1:50 AM   #3
E.T

I agree.
Already fact that it's limited to ISO200 tells that its noise level is very propably horrible.
Also there's anything how long batteries (2 AA) last.

Neither it's good that they're advertising it with interpolated resolution... that makes it stink there's nothing good in it so they have had to add that to get more megapixels out of it.

http://www.outpost.com/%7BD2PgRF9h1L...roduct/4655218
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2006, 3:37 PM   #4

E.T wrote:
Quote:
Already fact that it's limited to ISO200 tells that its noise level is very propably horrible
Also there's anything how long batteries (2 AA) last.

Neither it's good that they're advertising it with interpolated resolution... that makes it stink there's nothing good in it so they have had to add that to get more megapixels out of it.

http://www.outpost.com/%7BD2PgRF9h1L...roduct/4655218
BTW, down to $87. I am thinking about getting one for as a carry everywhere pocket camera (amusement parks, boating, etc) so I don't have to lug my Rebel XT everywhere my family goes. At that price I could even lose it and it wouildn't kill me.

It has much the same specs (2560x1920, f/2.8-4.8, 3x optical zoom)as most of the entry level digital cameras. Additionally, it does 640x480 @30fps MPEG4 which is a feature of some of the mid-range digitals out now. And yes, the max ISO is 200, but this only means that low light focus performance will suffer just as any other low cost digital that doesn't have an focus assist beam.

The real question is how good of a lens module did they put on it. That will more than anything determine what kind of pictures come out of it. Keep in mind it is a sub $100 camera, it will not get you the same image quality as a 1DmkIIs with L glass on it. For the price, it has some really good features.

For the most part the Emprex brand is Fry's in house low cost products, but I have several Emprex products (16x DVD Writer, MP3 player, etc) that all work fine and do what they are advertised to do.
mshill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2006, 5:15 PM   #5

I think your better off getting a used name brand camera. There are plenty of good, proven 2-3 mp cameras available in the used market that will likely provide better features and image quality than this Emprex model. the adage "you get what you pay for" generally holds true in electronics.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote