Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 26, 2006, 3:04 PM   #1

Hello, this is my first message here. ButI always check this webpage. Here is the point, Im planing on buying a new Camera, Im studying photography. I live in Peru and i was thinking on buying the Rebel Xt or the Eos 20D,but thenI saw that canon is coming with the new Eos 30D. The lowest price for the 20D here is at 1500$ (american dollars).And probablythe30D will be more expensive (than 1500$) here.Besides probably it will take like one more month to come here and i need it like for march or april. So, do you think it is worth the waiting and the more expensive price or should I go for the 20D. Im something more than an amateur phtographer, probably an enthusiast, but Im willing to become pro some day. One more thing, I would like a camera that will last some years, lets say like 4 on a minimum.

Thanks for the advice and sorry for the grammar, my mother tongue is spanish,so Bye or Chau.
harybd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 26, 2006, 3:25 PM   #2

Actually, the 30D is coming out at a lower price than a 20D. Seems like a no-brainer to me.
Old Feb 26, 2006, 3:29 PM   #3

Sorry, my mistake. I live in a country where everything is more expensive (at least for electronic). So, the Eos 30d is gonna be more expensive than the 20D probably like 200$ or 300$ more (if we are lucky).
Old Feb 26, 2006, 3:35 PM   #4

Kalypso wrote:
Quote:
Actually, the 30D is coming out at a lower price than a 20D. Seems like a no-brainer to me.
I don't want to go over a moderator, but as I understand the 30D's "release" price (now) IS lower than the 20D's release price WAS (18 months ago) - but the 20D will actually be around the equivalent of one to a few hundred dollars cheaper than the 30Din the same stores.

That's what I'm finding by web research anyway...

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2006, 1:36 AM   #5

OK, so...... any other help.
Old Feb 27, 2006, 2:53 AM   #6

These are Australian prices but you can see that the 30d is selling for less than the 20d. That however will force the 20d price to drop eventually as why will anyone buy them? These are retail prices though so are quite high. I have also started seeing more D20's on ebay before they were quite rare, I expect there will be a feeding frenzy soon. I have a 2.5 inch screen and I dont see that the smaller one of the 20d would be any less useless, I think its more a case of keeping up with the jonses.

http://www.digitalcity.net.au/store/...idProduct=2275

http://www.digitalcity.net.au/store/...idProduct=1055

http://www.digitalcity.net.au/store/...idProduct=2291

http://www.digitalcity.net.au/store/...idProduct=1139
Mark47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2006, 4:32 AM   #7
rey

The retail price for the 20D in the US is still $1500 with the kit lens. This is what "brick and mortal" stores (like Best Buy) are selling them for. This was the price around Christmas.

But US website stores (bhphotovideo.com, adorama.com, beachcamera.com) has started discounting the 20D from $1500 around Christmas, to as low as $1180 with the kit lens.

My guess is stores will continue with the retail price until the 30D is actually available. Adorama is the only major website store that takes 30D pre-orders and they are pricing the 30D with kit lens @$1500 and $1400 for body only. They also said that delivery is not until April/May.

I think it's safe to assume that whenever stores do stock up on 30D's it will cost more than the 20D's. Actually I expect most US chain stores (Best Buy, Circuit City) to carry only either 20D or 30D. They will probably sell 30D's only after Canon decide to discountinue the 20D. This is because Canon will discount 20D to sell them off faster. Also most stores do not have the shelf space for it, considering all the new consumer-friendly P&S cameras announced in PMA.

This is what I noticed last year when Nikon's D70s was released. Best Buy was still selling the D70 well after the D70s was released, and then eventually switched to D70s. Also, the Circuit City stores around my area ended up dropping D70 and D70s altogether and only stocked the more consumer-friendly D50.

My guess is you won't see the D30 in Peru until at least May. Most Peruvian stores will probably stick with 20D as Canon will discount those and give Peruvian stores bigger profit margin.

You make the decision at the end, but if I were in your shoes, I'd get the 20D and forget about the issue. The 20D will last you at least 4 years, both technology-wise and built-wise (20D is made of magnesium alloy body, not polycarbonate plastic like the XT, D70s, and D50). There is certainly nothing in the 30D that could make you say: "If I wait for the 30D it will last me longer than 20D."

I'm looking to buy the 20D myself and I intend to keep it for the next 5 years. When I built my PC four years ago (it has AMD 1800+ CPU) I thought to myself that it's fast enough for anything I will use it for (I don't do video editing or play 3D games), and sure enough I was right. My PC still compile C++ codes faster than I need them to. The same can be said with cameras like the D50, D70s, RebXT, and definately the 20D. It will take great pictures for the next 4+ years. Only your skills as a photographer will limit them.

oh yeah, check this out:
http://kenrockwell.com/tech/notcamera.htm

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2006, 8:18 PM   #8

Thank you so much, thats the kind of help I was expecting. Probably I'l get the 20D.