Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 26, 2006, 4:52 PM   #1

My Kyocera Finecam SL-400R has started immediately draining its fully-charged batteries, and I'm looking for a replacement. Unfortunately, nobody else makes a camera that swivels exactly the same way. It's sweet to use it in "brownie mode" because people don't really recognize it as a camera that way. You get some great candid shots.

But anyway, does anybody have a camera selector wizard? Where I can select just the characteristics that I want, and how badly I want them? For example, I NEED ultracompact and fast boot. Nobody sorts their reviews by speed of booting. As long as there's more than 4Mpix, I don't care about resolution. Practically everything else is negotiable. I want to be able to take the picture when I see it. Beyond that I have a slight investment in SD cards, but I have a multi-card reader, so no matter.

RussNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 26, 2006, 5:06 PM   #2

Found it! http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare.asp

RussNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2006, 5:26 PM   #3

Okay, fast booting.

Hmmm, Rebel XT and Canon 20D.

Virtually instant on.

-- Terry
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2006, 5:27 PM   #4
Administrator

RussNelson wrote:
Quote:
My Kyocera Finecam SL-400R has started immediately draining its fully-charged batteries, and I'm looking for a replacement.

Chances are, it's the battery, not the camera.

That's the first sign of batteries going bad (they won't hold a charge as long).

I see a vendor selling third party replacements for about $17 if you want to try a new one.

Quote:
But anyway, does anybody have a camera selector wizard?
Yes, you'll see a Buyers Guide menu choice on our main page at http://www.steves-digicams.com

It will let you put in a number of desired filters (manufacturer, resolution, optical zoom, etc., to help narrow your choices.

We also have a Best Cameras List with models deemed to be a good value with their market niche.

Quote:
Nobody sorts their reviews by speed of booting.
Nope, they are not sorted that way. But, most newer subcompact models have relatively fast startup times.

If you look through the categories in our Best Cameras List and read the reviews for models you consider, you'll see startup time, cycle times between photos, autofocus speed and reliability, viewfinder/LCD usability, flash range, battery life, image indoors and outdoors, etc. discussed in the Review Conclusion Section.

The Conclusion Section is the last page before the sample images in each model's review here.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2006, 5:29 PM   #5

not very ultra compact though terry. How about maybe the sony's ultra compacts. they have internal zoom lenses, so maybe they are fast because they dont have to extend the lens. I like the canon SD series. Fast enough for me and wicked burst.
VAtechtigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2006, 5:44 PM   #6
Administrator

BTW, thanks.

Your post reminded me that the batteries in my cordless phones won't hold a charge anymore (and they're only about 6 months old now). They're Lithium Ion, too.

So, I need to order some new ones.

Grrrrr. Only one of the cordless phones (out of 3 of the same make and model) has a battery in it that will hold a charge for hardly anytime at all now (and it's the batteries, since I tried swapping them around between phones).

They don't last forever.
Old Feb 26, 2006, 5:50 PM   #7

Sorry, I didn't see the ultracompact requirement. I failed as a camera wizard!
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2006, 6:05 PM   #8

I tried this, it would not produce any results at all unless I only specified "compact", "less than $600", "4 megapixel". "current models", and "less than 12 ounces". Then it came up with *one* camera, a Panasonic. If I tried "ultracompact" nothing at all came up. Manual controls? Nothing. Etc etc.... Interesting concept, but frustrating!

RussNelson wrote:
skeptic53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2006, 2:57 AM   #9
E.T

skeptic53 wrote:
Quote:
If I tried "ultracompact" nothing at all came up.* Manual controls?* Nothing.
Now that's because ultracompacts don't have manual controls... neither have many compacts effectively working ones.

JimC, those cordless phones might have had complete crap batteries if they need constant "tube-feeding" in such short time.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2006, 7:16 AM   #10
Administrator

E.T wrote:
Quote:
JimC, those cordless phones might have had complete crap batteries if they need constant "tube-feeding" in such short time.
Yep... That's what I get for buying a "refurbished" cordless phone system from a vendor I wasn't familar with.

It's a relatively loaded 5.8ghz system that supports up to 10 phones, with digital answering machine, conferencing, intercom, caller ID, full duplex speakerphone in base, speakerphone in handsets, etc.

I got the system with 3 phones for $119.95 (a pretty good savings over a new system like it).

I decided to switch to an internet based phone service (VOIP). So, I wanted to go cordless versus connecting their box to the household wiring. The VOIP service provider gives you a box that connects to your ethernet router, that also has an RJ-11 that provides dial tone.

I get unlimited local and long distance for $19.95 per month with the service (which works great most of the time), and that includes Caller ID (number only, no name), voice mail, conference calling, call waiting, and more.

The local phone company here wants more than that for local service alone (not to mention that they tack on more taxes and fees to the service).

So, I deciced to give VOIP a try, since I already have high speed internet via a cable modem anyway. I went with http://www.packet8.net

It's not quite as good as the local phone company at times. But, most of the time it works great (and at $19.95/month for unlimited service, including long distance, I can't complain too much).