Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 27, 2006, 12:24 AM   #1

I mainly use my camera for live bands/concerts.
I want a good camera with decent zoom, and good in low light and fast movement situations.
I like to capture the colored lighting and action shots.
I want to spend around $300 or so if I can get away with getting a really decent camera.
I like alot of features aswell, scene modes and whatnot.
Any help please?

I was considering the Olympus SP-500 and browsing the Sony Cyber Shot DSC-H1 and Kodak P850.
Are there any suitable for my needs?

I tend to get alot of grainy photos with the camera I have now, and would like to refrain from having to attempt to photoshop my pictures for use.
Especially now that people are interested in using my live pictures.
Thanks
Synthetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 27, 2006, 9:43 AM   #2
E.T

Synthetic wrote:
Quote:
I was considering the Olympus SP-500 and browsing the Sony Cyber Shot DSC-H1 and Kodak P850.
Forget those ... "me-too" ultrazooms with smallest possible sensor so lot of noise, even after heavier processing.
Fuji has somewhat better sensor and amazing noise processing in S5200 and S9000 so those would be much better for low light moving targets.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2006, 12:25 PM   #3

Those look nice, right now I'm an ametuer and would probably get confused and not know how to use the aperture and other settings.

Is there a camera with alot of scene settings that still takes crisp pictures in low light and action?
Old Feb 27, 2006, 9:11 PM   #4

Given that your price limit it $300 and you want low light/fast action, the simple answer is no, you aren't likely to find such a camera. Double that price plus a bit to get into a dSLR and you might get what you want, depending on what you mean by "low light and action".

Scene modes have nothing to do with the camera's basic capability.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2006, 9:27 PM   #5

E.T wrote:
Quote:
Synthetic wrote:
Quote:
Forget those ... "me-too" ultrazooms with smallest possible sensor so lot of noise, even after heavier processing.
Fuji has somewhat better sensor and amazing noise processing in S5200 and S9000 so those would be much better for low light moving targets.
I was in same situation as you some time ago

I concur with ET, you will probably be looking at the Fuji cameras, they are budget zooms with reasonable low light performance and some movie mode features. Low light moving targets, well it depends how fast, the faster they go, may be you may wish to save up for an entry DSLR as any point and shoot takes some time focusing in low light. Additionally, DSLR doesnt suffer as badly with noise as p&s. I take it ET owns a fuji?

however, DSLRs wont let you do movies. IMHO, i find I rarely use the scenes mode on my camera, apart from movie and stitch modes, after learning basics on photography, the PASM/P, Av, Tv, M will just do most of the scenes mode for you.

Also, that depends on how badly you need it too. If you can wait, theres always some better one around the corner. If you cant and have tight budget, then the fuji seems good =)

Good luck!
wisely_foolish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2006, 10:00 PM   #6

Well I mainly use my camera for photographing bands playing live shows.
Nothing too big, smaller local shows, mid sized venues.
I just want a decent camera that won't buckle under the smoke and light show and leave me with grainy and/or blurry pictures.

Just some crisp nice looking photos that capture the atmosphere (lights, smoke, movement) I'm willing to spend a bit more depending on the quality. Nothing professional, I don't need that. Just something nice and works well.

Here's a sample of the kind of photos I take :

and sometimes they come out like this :sad:

notice the blurriness and whatnot...I just need something to enhance it instead of ruining it .
Thanks for all the suggestions and help so far, just looking for something decent and not entirely TOO pricey
Old Feb 27, 2006, 10:12 PM   #7

Basically you will need a camera capable of higher ISO shots in the range of 1600 to 3200 ISO. For example her is a photo, taken with existing stage lighting from a distance of 106 feet at 10.8X optical zoom and ISO 1600. The camera used was a Fuji S-9000.

If you don't need that much zoom, the soon to be released Fuji F-30 with 3X optical zoom and a maximum ISO setting of ISO 3200, can offer even more flexibility.

MT
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2006, 10:49 AM   #8

So Basically, I just need a camera with high ISO?
Any suggestions? That can still fit my budget?
Thanks for the answers again, this is really helping me learn alot. :-)
Old Feb 28, 2006, 4:13 PM   #9

Your best option is the Fuji S-5200 (here in the US) overseas it is called the S-5600.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2006, 4:43 PM   #10
Super Moderator

the 5200/5600 is a great suggestion.. in my opinion it is one of the better values on the market right now!
style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"
style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"-dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote