Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 27, 2006, 1:58 AM   #1

Dear all8)

First of all !Thx for giving a young person, with no prior education in the ways of photography such a magnificent forum!! I learn everyday,and i feel there a so many people in this forumwho giveus meremortals a chanceto enjoy and evolve our abillities.

I´m a scandinavien student currently living in china.

I been playing around with a Kodak Z740 for some time now and i feel the time for change has come. I´ve come to the conclusion that DSLR is the way to go.

I have interests in shooting :

1)outdoor, landscapes, buildings ect ect. ( wideangle )

2) indoor activities ( not necessary sports events, but places where high iso could become a factor due to low lighting )I will surely buy a bright prime afterwards.

I havebeen offered a KM5 with a 18-70mm kit and a Nikon D50 with a 18-55mm Kit. Prices are identical.I feel the grip better on the D50, yet i like the antishake and iso3200 of the KM.

Lense choices problably won´t be much of an issue as i only need 1.wide angle 2.one zoom ?-300mm and a prime to meet all my needs. I think all brands will probably be able to supply me with that.

I realize to some extent that thesecameras would both more than meet my requirements if fittet with a proper lense ( all in due time ). But i hope someone could help me out. I feel in dispair, i love them both but can only have one! Like choosing between your children........
monx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 27, 2006, 10:00 AM   #2

I was in the same boat - all the cameras did what I wanted - my suggestion, go with the one that feels the best. Doesn't matter what features a camera has, if you don't like holding it, it will be hard to use.

If you can get a hold of the Pentax cameras, take a look at them as well. Very inexpensive and a great feature set.
ccallana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2006, 10:04 AM   #3

pardon me for asking, but what did you end up choosing? (hehe)

I would have loved to check out the pentax, but it seems to have gone missing on the beijing Digi-cam scene. Haven´t found one single one.
monx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2006, 10:35 AM   #4

I bought the Pentax *ist DL. Felt best in my hands. It is a bit on the small side, so if you have big hands the others might feel better.

For my uses, I thought the Nikon felt too big. I liked the Canon, but not enough to justify the much larger cost over the Pentax. I liked the fact that Pentax supports all its old lenses, which can be had fairly cheap on ebay.

ccallana is offline   Reply With Quote