Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 27, 2006, 12:40 PM   #1

I currently have a concord 4060 AF digital camera 4MP which doesn't take clear pictures, therefore I want to change.

I'm very impressed with thecamera I use at work - a Canon Powershot A410, it's only 3mp but the images seem very clear and it's cheap at @£85. The method of focussing seems good, but the things I don't like about it are zoom doesn't seem too hot and you have to havestupid software to upload to PC's rather than plugging it in the USB port and it being treated as a removable drive.

I would be willing to spend up to £200 on the camera alone and have narrowed down to 2 - the Canon Powershot A610 ( since this must be even better than the one at work ) or the Fuji Finepix S5600 has also caught my eye.

The Canon is cheaper and smaller, but the Fuji gives me the option of greater zoom if I ever needed, looks professional and is only a bit more expensive. The thing that is of most importance to me is picture clarity at long range and macro. The S5600 seems to deal with red eye well. I like fiddling around so I'd like a camera with lots of functions.

I'd like to know your opinions on these 2 cameras, which one you think is the best and why.

Thanks

CanSte is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 27, 2006, 12:43 PM   #2

The 610 is a VERY good camera.. Highly rated and there are a number of owners here.. Quick. and takes great photos..

If you want more zoom have you considered the canon S2 IS?
vwmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2006, 12:48 PM   #3

No, I hadn't considered the Canon S2 IS. It looks a very nice camera, but is it much better than the Finepix S5600? The reason I hadn't considered it before was because £200 was the limit I'd set myself.
Old Feb 27, 2006, 1:38 PM   #4

Other information which may make the choice easier:

I go to motorsports events, so the sorts of pictures I may be taking are cars at high speed, or standstill. Also I do a lot of mountain walking. I also collect coins do need clear pictures at macro level.

Thanks again
Old Feb 27, 2006, 1:55 PM   #5

I also do a fair bitof mountaineering and a bulky camera is not what I want to lug up a hill. While the Fuji isn't exactly huge its protruding lens did put me off. I like to travel as light as possible and I can't see me messing around getting the Fuji in and out of a rucsac or having it hang around my neck.

The A610 is plenty fast enough for sporting events I would have thought.

ron519098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2006, 11:15 PM   #6

The S5200/S5600 is a fantastic camera for the price. It has very good resolution, a fast lens at telephoto, better then average super zoom high ISO capability, and good features. A friend recently received one as a gift, and it is fantastic. I am less than impressed with most similar super zooms due to picture noise even at the lowest ISO, but noise is very well controlled up to ISO200, and only a minor burden at 400.
Carskick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2006, 12:55 PM   #7

Having had a good look around these forums( I must say they are excellent and I haven't even seen one big disagreement like you get on other forums ), there is a lot written on the S5600 and some lovely photos. I like the idea you can get differentfilters that fit on the end of the lenses to give different effects too. I am going to go to Jessops this weekend and hopefully take a look at one there and get some info. I may not buy the camera from them, but if they are good I may consider getting a case and XD card etc
Old Mar 1, 2006, 9:49 AM   #8

hi,

I've been searching cameras myself, which was a good way to learn a few things.
I'm highly considering the finepix s5600, and my brother will buy a canon a610/620.

during my investigation i came up with interesting information about performance testing such as the greta macbeth color test, and the sharpening test i don't remeber the name.

The fuji FP5600 teste really good for color and sharpening (with a higher score than average super zooms, such as the olympus sp500). So i't has a very good quality of pictures and video, it also have seriously appealing manual controls, a great zoom power and wide angs. lens ,convertors, color,usv and polarized filters can be added, as well as other (not so important to me) filetrs. The ISO is great reaching to 1600, however you'll probably need a tripod, because the camera lacks of image stabilization, but as i said this can be quite solved with a tripod. It doesn't have too many "scene modes" but most of them as just marketting to me, since someone who knows a little about photogaphy can set the right adjustments for the best shot on the manual mode by huimself.The noise starts abetewn ISO 600 and 800 but i't well compensated and it's lower than other cameras of this range.
About the cannon, well it scored lower than the fuji on color and sharpening, and noise starts at iso 200, however it's not that bad even at iso 400 (which is the maximum of this camera). The resolution of a 620 it's great, but if you don't need that muuuch resolution you may consider the 610, which has the same features but 5MP (which is quite a good resolution) instead of 7. The zoom it's about 16x (combined) while the fuji has a 50x combined zoom, and you certainly should pay atttention to the optical zoom cause it's the "real thing", canon a260/610 has a 4x and fuji finepix s5600 has a 10x, that can be improve by adding a lens .

Bottom line, both cameras are far away from a DSLR, but since you're not lloking for this type of camera (neither am i, specially for the money issue), I'd highly recomend the fuji finepix s5600, specially for someone who needs a zoom and a posiiblity of adding a wide angle lens.However, you should consider the fuji weight 370g, and it's size, it's bigger and heavier than the canon (not that much tough) probably becasue of the zoom, which is always out, it won't fit on your pocket or a regular point&shot camera cases.
CB81 is offline   Reply With Quote