Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 27, 2006, 12:41 PM   #1

Yeah, I saw it and if you go to CNET and go to the review, at the bottom youll see sponsored sites with competing sites for around the same price. I called one of the sites with the cheapest price ($312 with shipping and all) for body only. I still cant believe it, someone tell me this is a scam!!!!
DorkUnderwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 27, 2006, 12:55 PM   #2

alwell i ordered it, from genius cameras . com. i mean its SSL encrypted, 1-800 number customer support, factory new, warranty all that. i guess because the new Nikon D200 is coming, the D50 is gonna no longer sell as it used to. still for its features and durability i cant stop myself from thinking dam, can it get any cheaper? i was about to buy a kit for around 600, maybe the 18-70 for 700, but now i can prolly find the 18-70 for 200 (i think i need the telephoto) on ebay and some more for shipping. maybes its just because its a monday and business is slow (ok im joking).

also, the accessories on the site is way overinflated compared to other sites, maybe thats stopping them from going out of business.
Old Feb 27, 2006, 1:05 PM   #3

well, its only the body, and i mean only the body, and a 3 day battery or something like that, 90 day labor warranty then a year warranty. i wonder if its worth it, im not a pro but, it still sounds like a heck of a deal.

oh and i cancelled the order, i didnt like that the site didnt clearly state i was just getting the body and nothing else!
Old Feb 27, 2006, 1:09 PM   #4
Administrator

DorkUnderwater wrote:
Quote:
Yeah, I saw it and if you go to CNET and go to the review, at the bottom youll see sponsored sites with competing sites for around the same price. I called one of the sites with the cheapest price ($312 with shipping and all) for body only. I still cant believe it, someone tell me this is a scam!!!!
OK, I'll tell you, it's a scam.

Give me a few minutes and I'll try to take a look.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2006, 1:14 PM   #5

i dont think its a scam, because i called the support again and for that price, all i got was the camera, a battery that wouldnt last long at all, and thats it, no cables, straps, all those accesories. i didnt even know you could do that.
Old Feb 27, 2006, 1:16 PM   #6

it says its the body...so I dont know what that entails but it might be just the casing?
Synthetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2006, 1:17 PM   #7
VP

Check this.

http://www.resellerratings.com/seller8519.html
VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2006, 1:25 PM   #8

it might just be the cardboard box....
Old Feb 27, 2006, 1:26 PM   #9
Administrator

DorkUnderwater wrote:
Quote:
i dont think its a scam, because i called the support again and for that price, all i got was the camera, a battery that wouldnt last long at all, and thats it, no cables, straps, all those accesories. i didnt even know you could do that.
Let me repeat, it's a scam.

What vendor are you talking about?

This one?

http://www.geniuscameras.com/prodeta...60&start=1

Check out their customer reviews here:

http://www.resellerratings.com/seller8519.html

There is ALWAYS a catch with most of the Brooklyn Based Scammers, and you'll pay more than you would with someone else in the long run anyway. You can't actually buy the camera for the prices quoted without a catch with these vendors.

That the battery won't last very long is part of the scam these guys use, so that they can get you to buy no name accessories at absurd prices. That's how they make their money (of course, overpriced, and often unauthorized shipping and insurance, etc., comes into also).

If you don't buy the accessories, for some reason, the camera goes to backorder status, and you may not be able to cancel the order with some of these guys. They'll string you alone.

When you try to return what they may or may not ship, you'll run into roadblocks. If you're lucky, you can get your credit card company to reverse the charges, less restocking fees (since these are clearly marked on their web site in the policies sections).

Also, if you buy a gray market camera (part of the typical scam you see), Nikon will refuse to service it, even if you are willing to pay them for the service! That's another way to sell 'em cheaper (they import cameras not intended for sale in the U.S. with no warranty, since they are bypassing Nikon USA, the authorized distributor. Of course, forget rebates, too.

Think the store warranty is worth the paper is written on? Hah. :-)

Most of the scammers operate out of Brooklyn (where they seem to be able to get away with these tactics), and you'll see the same scammers doing business under more than one business name.

Bryan Biggers has a very good article you need to read:

How to Buy a Digital Camera without being Robbed

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2006, 1:40 PM   #10

alright thanks, i was a hairs away from making the transaction. but when they said that its just the body nothing else, i felt a bad feeling so i cancelled. i dont trust that they really cancelled the transaction they have the credit info, so i called my bank and cancelled the card to get a new one, no transactions on it so far for the nikon, but im playing it safe. i thought these guys were just on nyc streets!