Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 27, 2006, 1:55 PM   #1

I'm basically looking for a camera that will perform well in low-light situations, and nice telephoto. hence i end up comparing the KM 5D 18-70mm and Nikon D50 18-70mm kits. I would also be in some situations (on a ship) that would make things a bit harder to shoot! i mean i could wait for that small second when a ship is exactly inbetween its motion, but that still would cause a need for image stabilization, and i need good quality at high ISO. Now both D50 and 5D have good quality at high iso, i really dont want to go to 3200 on the 5D but having that option makes me like it a bit more, also its anti-shake technology seems good. the problem is that its under sony now, how much longer will the 5D be available on good sites, its gone from b&h already (and tho 7D is on there i cant afford that), im looking to spend up to and around $700 for body with 1 lens ( i really dont like changing lens and i dont do portraits or closeups of that sort), maybe $800 if i can get the SD card with it.

or maybe i should wait for the sony model to come out that is probably going to be a clone of this? if the price is just gonna get higher id go for the nikon (i cant seem to find a really reliable good source for the KM 5D). thanks
DorkUnderwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 27, 2006, 2:31 PM   #2
VP

Looks like everyone is out of stock on the KM 5D .....good price at B & H IF they had it. I have been looking lately also.

Best price I have seen on the KM 7D (at a place I would shop) is Butterfly Photo.... (check ratings).... $749 for factory refurbished or $859 new. Bodies only.

They also have a pretty good deal on the Nikon D50 two lens kitaround your price range.
VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2006, 3:23 PM   #3
Administrator

I just gave 'em a ring to check stock. Brick and Mortar dealer with two bodies left (no kits left):

http://www.jackscamera.com/activex/p...roductno=42940

Phone Number and Store Hours here:

http://www.jackscamera.com/welcome.asp

First come, first served.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2006, 4:34 PM   #4

thanks!
Old Feb 27, 2006, 4:52 PM   #5
Administrator

Let us know if you nab one, and make sure to show us some photos taken from the ship.

P.S.

If you get one, pick up a bright prime to go with it like a 50mm f/1.7 AF lens.

There are several on Ebay right now, and Adorama has 2 in excellent condition for $79 (new 50mm f/1.7 lenses are sold out at most dealers)

Fixed Focal Length Maxxum Lenses at Adorama's Used Department

Old Feb 28, 2006, 10:28 PM   #6

alright. im going to go for the maxxum, the nikon came realllly close though, it just seems that the nikon has so much more future value than the maxxum, but for a mobile environment the antishake really comesin handy, besides i dont think an Image stabilization lens for nikon would be as good as the camera itself with an anti-shake, plus ISO 3200 helps (not that id stay at that).

il put pictures up, but the trip is this summer! still i have an amazing view of the NYC skyline from my college here, and im under a bridge, and the docks. time to put my '70 ricoh tls slr away.
Old Mar 1, 2006, 5:15 AM   #7
Administrator

DorkUnderwater wrote:
Quote:
alright. im going to go for the maxxum, the nikon came realllly close though, it just seems that the nikon has so much more future value than the maxxum, but for a mobile environment the antishake really comesin handy, besides i dont think an Image stabilization lens for nikon would be as good as the camera itself with an anti-shake, plus ISO 3200 helps (not that id stay at that).
I wouldn't underestimate Sony. They have already announced their intent to capture 25% of the DSLR market.

They're already number 3 behind Kodak and Canon in Digital Camera sales in the U.S. (and ahead of Nikon). They just don't have any DSLR models, yet. ;-)

We'll see some this year using the same Maxxum lens mount as the 5D and 7D have, and Sony already has a huge distribution network in place to sell them.

Quote:
il put pictures up, but the trip is this summer! still i have an amazing view of the NYC skyline from my college here, and im under a bridge, and the docks. time to put my '70 ricoh tls slr away.
Get yourself some Fuji Superia X-TRA 1600 and give it a try if the urge strikes you. I wouldn't try to underexpose it any, as it will degrade if you try to push it.