Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 28, 2006, 1:20 AM   #1

[align=left]upgrading from 300d . will use upgrades at Niagra falls, the zoo, and at family reunions. also occasionlly at sporting events.:P 1 person told me to upgrade my lenses[70-200 2.8 IS].[/align]
bookerreese is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 28, 2006, 9:48 AM   #2

Ask yourself, why do I need a new camera body?

What do you need on any of those cameras that your current 300D doesn't have?

My guess is that the 300D is probably covering all your bases. Save your money, listen to the other advice you've gotten and buy a few really nice lenses.

If for some reason, there is some new feature you *have* to have on one of the newer more expensive cameras, by all means - go for it - but unless you just like spending money on camera bodies as they come out, I'd suggest holding off
ccallana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2006, 10:43 AM   #3

should i go for the 70-200 2.8 IS or non IS lense, and get 50mm 1.8, and 85mm 1.8 lenses.:|
bookerreese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2006, 12:00 PM   #4

bookerreese wrote:
Quote:
should i go for the 70-200 2.8 IS or non IS lense, and get 50mm 1.8, and 85mm 1.8 lenses.:|
Those are some good lenses. But you're asking a loaded question here. It depends on WHAT you want out of a lens. I wouldn't recommend buying 3 lenses just because someone told you that you need to upgrade.

ccallana asked the important question here:

What is it you want to do that your 300d and current lenses won't allow you to do? The 3 lenses you mentioned may or may not meet those needs. Don't fall into the gear trap of buying something just because it's a great product - what good does it do if it sits at the bottom of your gear bag because you don't use it?

So, please provide specifics regarding what type of photography you want to do and why you feel your current gear falls short.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2006, 12:17 PM   #5

I think you should seriously look at the 1Ds MKII (not to be confused with the 1dMK2). For lens, I would recommend to go with the 300 f2.8 IS instead of 70-200 f2.8 IS.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2006, 12:22 PM   #6

bobbyz wrote:
Quote:
I think you should seriously look at the 1Ds MKII (not to be confused with the 1dMK2). For lens, I would recommend to go with the 300 f2.8 IS instead of 70-200 f2.8 IS.
Did I miss something in the original post? While a great combination, that's $11,000 worth of gear. I'd love to have that gear, but potentially a bit overkill for "zoos, niagra falls and family reunions' - not to mention a 300mm 2.8 lens might be a little tight for those 'group shots' at the reunion
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2006, 1:04 PM   #7

I was just kidding based on the original poster's question.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2006, 3:07 PM   #8

bobbyz wrote:
Quote:
Obviously, and you MUST buy a Nikon D200 with a 300mm f2.8 VR lens for sports. When your done with that, come on back and we'll help you spend the next ten thousand dollars.

Seriously, in what way is the 300D and your current lens collection limiting you? In what conditions are you currently hitting the limits of your hardware? Are you sure its not technique? At one time, a slr camera was an slr camera, your lenses and skill were the biggest contributor to your results. Now that the "film" is a permanent part of the camera body people are going beyond nuts nitpicking the technical merits of each camera model.
tmoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2006, 6:38 PM   #9

The 1D mark 2 is one of the best sports SLR's, but for someone who is upgrading from a Rebel(300D), this might be too much camera. You won't need 8.5 FPS for family reunions, ethier.

The canon 5D is great for large areas with poor lighting, likegyms.lt would also help your indoor pictures, because you canuse higher ISO instead of a tripod, because it has less noise thanmost cameras. Itsleaned towards themanual photographer, though it still has auto.

The 30D is a nice camera. Its 5 FPS will be good for sports, and will do good indoor pictures. This is the next step up from the Rebel. Its not as painful on the wallet as the 5D, too.

The 5D would be asuperior camera for the condtions you'll be taking pictures in. Butthe 5D is a VERY large jump from the Rebel. It is most likelytoo much camera for you. The 30D is the best choice or someone who is going to upgrade from a Rebel.
Homer J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2006, 1:26 PM   #10

Homer J. wrote:
Quote:
The canon 5D is great for large areas with poor lighting, likegyms.lt would also help your indoor pictures, because you canuse higher ISO instead of a tripod, because it has less noise thanmost cameras. Itsleaned towards themanual photographer, though it still has auto.

The 30D is a nice camera. Its 5 FPS will be good for sports, and will do good indoor pictures. This is the next step up from the Rebel. Its not as painful on the wallet as the 5D, too.

The 5D would be asuperior camera for the condtions you'll be taking pictures in. Butthe 5D is a VERY large jump from the Rebel. It is most likelytoo much camera for you. The 30D is the best choice or someone who is going to upgrade from a Rebel.
I am new to DSLR world and am debating which one to buy. I have narrowed it down to Canon 30D and Canon 5D.I need a good camera forwedding pictures, portraits, Landscape and some sports photography.

I can use advice on which one makes more sense and why.
harana is offline   Reply With Quote