Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 28, 2006, 7:00 AM   #1

Hi,
After winning a battle with my bank, they are now paying for most of my holiday strike one for the little guy.

Myself and my wife are off to the Maldives in May and although she has a Canon EOS 20D we, ( well i ) want a small pocket sized camera, good picture quality and this maybe can only be answerd by someoone who has done this.

i want to be able to use it under water in a waterproof housing, so do any cameras shoot better underwater?

i was originally thinking of the Fuji finepix F10 then i saw the F11, then the Panasonic Fx9 then Sony DSC-P200.
i have read reviews but nothing is standing out.

could you guys help please?

Usurper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 28, 2006, 8:21 AM   #2

The Sony T9 might be a good all-round choice. It has both true optical stabilization and better than average noise at ISO400. That should make for a versatile vacation camera. It has an excellent LCD but no optical viewfinder. The underwater housing is compact because the lens doesn't have to extend. The underwater housing is only good to 3 meters though. OK for snorkeling but not for scuba.

Because of the odd shape of the Sony P200 they were able to move the flash far enough from the lens that red-eye isn't the problem it is with most other pocket cameras. It also has an optical viewfinder. And some manual exposure and focus settings if you want to use them.

I find it difficult to quickly acquire and follow a moving target with the LCD, especially when zoomed. The best LCDs aren't great in bright sunlight and poor ones like the one on the Fuji F10/11 are very difficult. I think the Fuji F30 will be available before May and they upgraded the LCD. You do want some time to practice before you leave. The F10/11 and probably the F30 have excellent high ISO capability. I personally prefer stabilization but I don't shoot a lot of action in limited light.

The Panasonic FX9 has optical stabilization and a good LCD but no optical viewfinder. All of the cameras listed have good lenses and give excellent results.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2006, 9:29 AM   #3

You might consider the Canon a610/a620. There is an underwater housing available andthey have optical viewfinders as well as LCDs.Having said that they might not fall within the "small pocket" description being fairly chunky.
ron519098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2006, 10:00 AM   #4

Thanks very much, thats the sort of help i was after.

I only mentioned thoose cameras as they were ones i had seen, anything small ish is fine, theres just so many different cameras out there, to a noobie like me its bewildering.

ill have to try narrow it down.

any makes i should defo look for or avoid?
Old Feb 28, 2006, 12:03 PM   #5

I would seriously consider the canon a610.. There is also a Pentex waterproof camera.. but I've got no hands on experience with it.
vwmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2006, 12:32 PM   #6

Ive looked at the Canon A610, as my wife has a Canon anyway.

but i was leaning towards something smaller, thankyou though.

to be honest im probably looking for the impossible, it would be great if everyone had replied saying GET THIS "all the same camera stated" its the best out there.

but as the options are so varied i dont know. i really need to make my mind up so i can get used to the camera before we go.

I did originally like i said look at the fuji F10, then i saw the upgraded F11, and it spiraled out of control form there hehe

Is Image stabilisation something i will miss if the camera doesnt have it?

crikey this is harder than i thought it would be.
Old Feb 28, 2006, 12:46 PM   #7

This is getting silly, now ive found Canon IXUS, and the NIkon coolpix 7900.

im meant to be making my list smaller
Old Feb 28, 2006, 1:14 PM   #8

OK forgot price range.

£220 MAX does this help?
Old Feb 28, 2006, 2:16 PM   #9

I don't think you'll miss image stabilization underwater. Wter is a damping medium so camera shake is less of a problem. On land a small camera will be more prone to camera shake as there's less inertia.

Most underwater photography is taken with wide angle lenses (at least 20mm in 35mm terms)or macro lenses. Most small camera have a macro setting but few have a very wide angle setting.

The reason for using wide angle an macro is that you need to get very close to the subject to reduce the amount of water between the camera and subject.

If underwater photography is something you want to get into look at housing that allow for the attachment of add on lenses.

A couple of links to UK suppliers.

http://www.camerasunderwater.co.uk/d_stills/index.html

http://www.marine-cameras.com/digital/digital.htm
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2006, 2:47 PM   #10

Well, weve been wanting a small day to day camera for a while, the reason i want to be able to use it under water is only because of the holiday. we may not get another holiday like thiss o id like some memories of seeing this fantastic pasrt of the world.

well part of the ocean.