Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 28, 2006, 4:14 PM   #1

I am looking to upgrade my Maxxum 7 to a Maxxum 7D but want to make sure this camera is good for product shots.

I prefer Minolta because I already have some money in lenses, but I would switch if the 7D is not the right choice. My main things I will photograph are as follows (in order of importance)

1. Product shots for web design and catalog. (TV mounts and accessories, metal brackets)
2. Indoor pictures, school plays, family gatherings, etc.
3. Pictures of sporting events

Any help would be appreciated.

Mike
ranger951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 28, 2006, 4:42 PM   #2
Super Moderator

with your familiarity and investment in the minolta system. the 7d would be a great camera for your purposes.. however, i would recommend you save a little money and get the 5d, it has the same sensor and some would argue even better image quality for less money.. i have used it a few times and can say that i was impressed with it..

-dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2006, 5:06 PM   #3

The 5D would be a great camera for what your doing. The antishake will help reduce camera shake when your taking pictures of pruducts.
Homer J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2006, 8:46 PM   #4

I assume you are shooting off a tripod for your product photography so the AntiShake feature of the KMs are not much use - the manual says to switch off the AS when using a tripod. AS is very nice to have for off-tripod shooting.

The featureyou are likely to miss with the 5d (not sure about the 7d) is the ability to work tethered to your computer. Being able to view the images on a full sized monitor quickly and easily would be a real plus for product photography.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2006, 9:01 PM   #5

That & the lack of a battery grip for portrait oriented shots.
Old Feb 28, 2006, 10:15 PM   #6

I will be using a tripod and be experimenting with a 48" popup photo box and some lights. I have been using a Canon S2 with pretty good results and have had the computer tethered to the camera. Having the computer tethered to the camera is a must, do the Minolta's not have this feature?

I am also considering the Canon 20D, any pro's or con's between these two?

Also is there going to be a lack of support when Sony takes over Minolta?

Mike
Old Mar 1, 2006, 11:39 AM   #7

The 7D can't be tethered to a computer & there will be continued support from Sony (along with all the aftermarket lens mfgrs...& they are ALL anti-shake too). I originally said the 7D could be tethered (like my A1), but these links clear that up:

http://kmpi.konicaminolta.us/eprise/...E_Transfer_007

http://kmpi.konicaminolta.us/eprise/...E_Transfer_008
Old Mar 1, 2006, 10:41 PM   #8

I don't need to see the picture preview, I am more concerned that it will show me the results on my computer right away without having to manually download in between each shot. Will the 7D do this?

Mike