Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 1, 2006, 5:50 AM   #1

I would like to pick up a point and shoot camera that can shoot in RAW.Is there a listing somewhere or could someone let me know which ones shoot in RAW ?

Presently I have a Canon 20D and my wife has a Olympus 750z. The little olympus has always served us well,but I would like to move up to something that can shoot RAW also.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Bsmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 1, 2006, 6:25 AM   #2

You may try to get a used Canon S70 on Ebay. Unfortunately Canon replaced the S70 with the S80, which has no more a raw mode. Like the S80 it has the very nice 28-100mm zoom range.
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2006, 1:47 PM   #3

The Canon G-6, Kodak P-850 and P-880, The Fuji S-9000, and the E-900, As well as the Olympus SP-350 all shoot raw images.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2006, 2:38 PM   #4
E.T

KonicaMinolta A200 with mechanically zoomed 28-200mm and stabilization.

Those Kodaks won't buffer RAW so its one shot every fifteen second.
Same for S9000, and very propably E-900.
Neither does that Oly buffer them.

So for more than PR BS RAW mode it's between Canon G6 and KM A200 which both buffer 5 RAWs.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2006, 2:55 AM   #5

Bsmooth, when I was researching cameras recently I used this site to help me find brands/models with the features I wanted:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare.asp

B1ue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2006, 9:48 AM   #6
Super Moderator

well, i have a 20d and canon gear as well, and when i wanted a digicam, i went with the lx1 from panasonic.. it shoots a simultaneous Raw and jpg and and is compatible with ACR, silkypix and my favorite Rawshooter Prem.. i really like this camera, the fit and finish are on par with my 20d, its made of metal, has a 16:9 aspect ratio (full-sensor) and is compact.. the lens is really where this camera shines, the leica branded image stabilized lens is sharp from corner to corner and starts down at 28mm which is quite wide when combined with the 16:9 sensor.. ok, the bad news, there is noise at 200 and 400 ISO, but its mostly because the panasonic has a less aggressive noise removing procedure incamera.. so at least you are keeping detail.. it cleans up nicely esp when you remove in conversion, so, for me, its not a big issue, for others that do not like to post, it is..

anyways, the others mentioned by mtclimber are also wonderful choices, this is the just the one i went with and the reasoning..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2006, 11:37 AM   #7

If you don't need a large zoom and image stabilization then the G6 is the right camera for you. Excellent photo quality, full manual controls and an awesome battery...
michael1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2006, 6:14 PM   #8

Michael-

You are very correct, the Canon G-6 has a great battery. It is the same battery that is used in the Canon dSLR 20D. But beyond that, unfortunately, the Canon G-6 lags behind by a large margin.

The Canon G-6 is equipped with the ORIGINAL Digic chip, NOT the newer Digic II chip. It has become outdated and there is no replacement in sight. you might ask, how do I know? Well, for starters I own a Canon G-6, which is now an orphan. And I am a professional teacher for several universities on digital cameras.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote