Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 1, 2006, 3:23 PM   #1

I need a camera that will allow me to take macro pictures and not cost me an arm and a leg. I am doing research work on an endangered beetle and need a camera that will give me GOOD photos. I do not want to get into an SLR Digital camera with lenses because of the cost (us biologists do not make much money), can someone help?
earthdog_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 1, 2006, 9:48 PM   #2

The A610 has a 1 cm macro at wide angle.
Homer J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2006, 10:49 PM   #3

The Canon S2 also has 0cm macro.. I've seen some incredible shots of bugs from it.
vwmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2006, 8:10 AM   #4

vwmom wrote:
Quote:
The Canon S2 also has 0cm macro.. I've seen some incredible shots of bugs from it.
I agree 100%
airedaleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2006, 9:42 AM   #5

Panasonic FZ-20 with a close-up lense. Look in the Panasonic forum for some excellent macro shots.
Nizidramanii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2006, 9:57 AM   #6

One nice thing about both of the Canons mentioned is that they will capture a relatively small area zoomed. Many cameras require you to be in wide angle to fill a frame with anything much smaller than a magazine cover. Being able to zoom out and still capture an area smaller than 3 X 4 inches gives a couple of advantages. You are able to get some light on the subject without the lens an inch away and you get a lot less barrel distortion – which is extreme focusing very close.

Of course the S2 lets you get further from the target and still capture a small area, but the A610 gives a comfortable distance. The A610 seems closer to your budget.

Both also have flip-out LCDs. The LCDs aren't as large or as high a resolution as some other cameras, but the fully articulated feature is more versatile if you shoot in the field.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2006, 10:15 AM   #7

Another thing I've found to like is the manual flash on the S2.. If you dont want it.. Dont open it.
Old Mar 2, 2006, 10:22 AM   #8

Thanks for the information. Do you know anything about the S3 compared to the S2? I know the S3 has a higher pixel level, but can not find anything about its macro.
Old Mar 2, 2006, 10:32 AM   #9

Pretty much everything else is the same for camera specs.. there are a few other 'toys' on it.. but macro is the same.. It looks as though it will be early June before the S3 is readily available (do you really want to wait over 3 months?).. it will also be higher in price. Now till then will be a good time to get the S2 cheaper. Plus the S2 has been tried and discussed for the past year.. Everyone is aware of any problems with it.. The S3 is unknown still.
Old Mar 2, 2006, 10:35 AM   #10

Thnaks for the input. If you had to pick between the S2 or the A610 for insect photos which would you pick? The price is not too different and my budget should be able to afford the S2. By the way, do you know anything about the S3?