Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 1, 2006, 6:24 PM   #1

I've learned to love taking digicam short movies, and thought about a camcorder, but they are too large to carry around.

I'm looking at 5 MP cameras (200-300 price range, though I'd go higher for something outstanding).

The difficulty comes with low light movies. The Canon A70 I used to have (which got fried on a hot day) had exposure compensation in movie mode and did ok in lower light when I set the exposure comp. I've been looking at the A610, but they've removed that movie control. The manual says the exposure is automatically adjusted during recording, but I'm nervous about how that would actually turn out. I tried a Fuji 550 which also "adjusts the exposure for the scene" and the low light movie was all black. Suggestions for which digicam takes the best low-light movies?
gwhatnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 1, 2006, 10:51 PM   #2

My S2 takes good low light video. Have you considered that one?
vwmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2006, 11:19 PM   #3

I'm looking atthe S2now along with the S80. Theyhave an exposure lock and you can use that with some other control to override theautoadjusted exposure. They'rejust a bit expensiveincludingthe extra proprietary battery.Ilove AAs. I'm now trying to look at every major brand to see what they offer for my price range, even reading the user guides if they come close. It would be nice to have other (cheaper) options. Also, the A70 had some serious issues , which makes me leery of Canon. It's not consistent though. My friend had aCanon from a different series, Iforget which, and we took side by side low lightpictures on Auto, even switching cameras to account for dumb user. My camera'spictureswere all out of focus and his weregreat. But my movies were better. So there's no telling. It would be nice to be able to try them all out first , but since that's not possible I thought I'd post this question.
Old Mar 1, 2006, 11:33 PM   #4

Ooops, the S80 no, but the S2 does have AAs. But its over $400 and has a tiny LCD.maybe wait for the price to go down when the S3 comes out (or get that instead).
Old Mar 1, 2006, 11:52 PM   #5

The soon to be released Casio Z850 has a built-in LED movie light. It also has MPEG4 and the great past movie mode where you just aim the camera and wait for something to happen. When the girl finally pops out of the cake you start recording and it puts the previous 5 seconds in from the buffer. I really like the feature and take most of my movies in that mode. It probably won't be cheap when it is first released though.

My Z750 takes nice indoor movies and the Z850 should be about the same. I was pleasantly surprised by the indoor movies, but I'm not sure what you mean by "low light". And I don't know what the effective range of the little movie light will be on the Z850. You can't optical zoom while recording on the Z750 and I think the Z850 will be the same. I haven't had problems with stability, but the Z850 has the good Casio digital stabilization for movies. It isn't as good as the true optical stabilization on the S2, but people with current cameras with it say it works very well.

I have cameras with AA and lithium and much prefer the lithium. The Z750 will fill a 1Gb card with power left over and come close to filling a 2Gb card. My battery has never been out of the camera and I haven't had need for a spare. But you can get good aftermarket batteries for $20 and just drop a charged one someplace handy until you need it. The self-discharge is only 2%/month. NiMH batteries have to be cycled because of their high self-discharge and are heavier and bulkier for their power. And alkalines are downright impractical.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote