Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 2, 2006, 4:59 PM   #11

Thanks heaps JimC for the really great intel. That sounds really good to me because I really wanted to go with the Minolta mount. Sounds a bit like Sony has once again made sure that their future is safe in the dslrmarket and with KMbeing their R&D backing that should meanthat we will allbenefit from this.

I think that I may seriously go with the KM 7D with the standard 18-55mm lens f3.5 and use my existing Tamron lenses 300mm and upgrade when "Sony" come up with something better. I will ring again today and find out what money they will charge for the mount itself with the standard lense.

Thanks again and I will post later on today with a price.

Many thanks

Mtn:-)
Mountain Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2006, 5:11 PM   #12
Administrator

There is no "standard" 18-55mm.

They do have a 17-35mm f/2.8-4.0 (D) avalable for it.

You can see some reviews of it here:

http://www.dyxum.com/reviews/lenses/....asp?IDLens=27

The 17-35mm f/2.8-3.5 G lens is very good. But, they're probably charging as much for the lens as they are for the body. ;-) Then again, perhaps you've found a good deal on one.

You may want to consider buying the body only, then shopping around for lens bargains (unless they give you a good deal on a package).

I'm keeping my eye on the recently announced Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 to see how user opinons of it fair. I've already got a Tamron 20-40mm f/2.7-3.5 I use with my 5D, and I also have the "kit lens" (Konica Minolta 18-70mm f/3.5-5.6) for when I need something a bit wider.

Added: they may be selling you the non-G lens, as I was thinking the G version and non-G version didn't both start out at f/2.8.

My bad. I'd check to see (make sure to get the entire lens specs, not just the aperture at the widest focal length to see which one they're trying to sell you.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2006, 6:08 PM   #13

Just curious guys as to maybe a list of 3 or 4 other camera's that may suit the type of photography I do so that i can review the prices and specs?

Thanks

Mtn:?
Old Mar 2, 2006, 6:15 PM   #14
Administrator

I'd check out the Canon EOS-20D, too. It's got a pretty fast AF system and it's well liked. Canon also has stabilized lenses available for it (although their L glass is pricey).

Take a look at our "Best Cameras List" here for models deemed to be a good value in a given market niche. Make sure to read the review conclusion sections in the reviews for any model you consider (that's where you'll find the "meat" of the review).

http://www.steves-digicams.com/best_cameras.html

But, IMO, you're not going to find a better camera than the KM 7D in it's price range (it's dirt cheap for the quality of camera you get, and you have built in anti-shake with every lens).

Even though I've already got some Nikkor glass, I decided to go with a Konica Minolta DSLR for my use.

Make sure to try them out in a store. The 7D is a very nice camera from a control layout perspective, with a very nice viewfinder for a DSLR.

Old Mar 7, 2006, 5:34 PM   #15

Just a thank you to everyone for their intel and opinions of purchasing a camera that will suit my needs.

I purchased a KM 7D with the 17-35 f2.8 lens and after about 3-4 days of shooting I am very very happy with it. I have gotten used to it very fast and it is a user friendly camera. I ended up with the battery and side mount extra and that will be great for field trips.

Once again thank you all.

Mtn
Old Mar 7, 2006, 6:05 PM   #16
Administrator

Congratulations!

Make sure to visit often and share some photos from it.