Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 1, 2006, 9:04 PM   #1

Hi there guys, I was hoping somebody could recommend a great Digital SLR camera to me and the best lense types and models for this type of photography.

I will be using it mainly for Wildlife and Scenery and with the option in a few months for Macro use for flowers.

I have a non digital Minolta SLR that i really loved using but obviously like all things it is time to upgrade.

I will be needing a good Zoom quality of around the 300mm with the options of increasing that Zoomand panoramic and macro lenses in the near future.

Please forward any comments at all and I look forward to reading them.

Price range $2000-$3000. AU.

Mtn:?
Mountain Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 1, 2006, 10:11 PM   #2

KM 7D dslr

birding:

minolta reflex autofocus 500mm f8

minolta HS AF 80-200mm f2.8 APO

general use:

(used) minolta 35-70mm f4 macro

(used) minolta 20mm f2

IF YOUR PRESENT MINOLTA IS A MAXUM (auto focus) ALL YOUR LENSES ARE COMPATIBLE
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2006, 10:19 PM   #3
Administrator

bernabeu wrote:
Quote:
IF YOUR PRESENT MINOLTA IS A MAXUM (auto focus) ALL YOUR LENSES ARE COMPATIBLE
Or a Dynax (for those outside of the U.S).

All Minolta Autofocus lenses will work (Maxxum, Dynax, Minolta AF, Minolta A mount).

BTW, your lenses will appear to be 1.52x longer on a Konica MInolta DSLR model (because the sensor is smaller than 35mm film).

So, a 200mm lens on a KM DSLR model will have about the same angle of view as a 300mm lens would on a 35mm camera.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2006, 12:25 AM   #4

Thanks heaps the information guys. VMA.

I rang Harvey Norman's and they told me that Konica Minolta are going to stop making cameras soon that will make future lens purchases expensive and rare.

They quoted me a price on the KM 7D dslr at$2400 for the body and 17-35 f2.8 package. $Au.

Any comments here would be greatly appreciated

Mtn

Old Mar 2, 2006, 12:38 AM   #5

You should be able to use any DSLR for bird photography, although some focus faster than others and some cost more than others. Look at the brand of film lenses you have and then try to make them work with the same brand of DSLR. That is usually the easiest way to start out and then just do the best you can with the equipment you have.

I shot this today with a Pentax DS and a Pentax FA*300mm lens!

Tom

ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2006, 12:44 AM   #6

Very very nice.

Love that shot. Thanks for the post.

I think it will be a matter of, and i am sure that you would agree, that I purchase a camera that i feel confident with that can use the lenses of my older model minolta. Should be interesting and i will keep you updated so that i can read your opinions.

Thanks

Mtn
Old Mar 2, 2006, 2:48 AM   #7
E.T

Mountain Hawk wrote:
Quote:
I rang Harvey Norman's and they told me that Konica Minolta are going to stop making cameras soon that will make future lens purchases expensive and rare.
Sony is taking over KM's camera business, apparently KM's DSLR department will continue under Sony, but first Sony DSLRs are higly propably rebadged KMs.
Also Sony might itself make (propably designer would be Carl Zeiss) some lenses for mount in some point but you can be sure that mount isn't going away.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2006, 6:55 AM   #8
Administrator

ennacac wrote:
Quote:
I shot this today with a Pentax DS and a Pentax FA*300mm lens!
Very nice shot Tom. Beautiful!

Old Mar 2, 2006, 7:37 AM   #9
Administrator

Mountain Hawk wrote:
Quote:
Thanks heaps the information guys. VMA.

They quoted me a price on the KM 7D dslr at$2400 for the body and 17-35 f2.8 package. $Au.
Any comments here would be greatly appreciated
That's a G lens that they're quoting you in the package (Minolta's most expensive).

The 17-35mm f/2.8-3.5G is expensive, top of the line glass for a wide zoom (and it's a 2.8-3.5, so you lose about half a stop on the long end). It's not the lens KM includes in kits, and it doesn't test a lot better than some of the other wide zooms around anyway,

You can buy a good quality wide zoom for a lot less (Tamron, Tokina, Sigma, Cosina and even Konica Minolta have less expensive choices).

What are they charging for the body only?

As for the new arrangement with Sony, I wouldn't worry about it. It's probably best for the long run, thanks to Sony's deep pockets.

Sony is one of the largest sensor suppliers in the world, and supplies sensors to most manufacturers for many of their non-DSLR models. If you use an Olympus, Konica-Minolta, Nikon, Pentax, or Canon non-DSLR camera, there's a good chance it's got a Sony sensor in it.

They also supply the sensors for Nikon, Pentax, and Konica-Minolta DSLR models, and by launching their own DSLR lineup, they don't have to worry about buying sensors from someone else, lowering their R&D cost for new products (while still supplementing revenue by selling sensors to the "other guys".

In addition, Sony is number 3 in market share in Digital Camera sales in the U.S. behind Kodak and Canon (and number 2 worldwide).

They've already announced their intent to capture 25% of the DSLR market, too. So, I wouldn't underestimate them, and they've already got a huge distribution network in place to market DSLR models.

I'm sure you'll be seeing new lenses announced, too. Third party suppliers are still announcing new lenses for KM models. For that matter, in just the past two weeks, Tamron and Sigma have announced more lenses that will be available in Minolta mount.

I'm keeping an eye on the new Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 to see how well it's received. It's designed only for DSLR models with sensors smaller than 35mm film. So, it's going to be smaller and lighter compared to a lens designed for 35mm models.

http://www.tamron.co.jp/en/news/rele...s0215_a16.html

I'm also keeping an eye on the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC that Sigma has decided to make available in Konica Minolta mount, for when I need something brighter than my Minolta 28mm f/2 provides in very low light clubs and restaurants with live music in hte area.

As for lens availability for used lenses, I think we're just seeing some "panic buying" since the KM/Sony announcements. Minolta has manufacturered 16 Million Lenses in Maxxum/Dynax mount since this mount was introduced in 1985.

That's a lot of lenses in the market (and that doesn't even included third party lenses in this lens mount from Tamron, Tokina, Sigma, Vivitar/Cosina, etc.).

Even Canon (which has been making DSLR models for much longer, with a huge number of users), has only manufactured 32 Million lenses in their EF mount. So, what lens is going to be harder to find on the used market? Many times the users of Canon DSLR models trying to pick between 32 Million lenses, or a small number of KM DSLR owners in comparison, trying to find deals with 16 Million lenses in the market.

Also, KM is not going out of business. They've just decided to stop selling cameras under the Konica Minolta brand name. They'll still be making cameras and lenses for Sony (as the OEM supplier).

That Sony will be selling cameras and lenses in Minolta mount is not a new thing. That was announced a LONG time before KM decided to stop selling cameras. So, models with a Sony brand name have been "in the works" for quite a while now, and they've announced their intent to launch them this summer.

Sony DSLR models using the Minolta Maxxum/Dynax mount have been in the works since last July.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/digin....html#sony_slr

We've already got a new Nikon models using Sony's 10 and 12 Megapixel sensors, and Pentax has announced a DSLR that will be 10MP (no doubt using a Sony CCD).

I have no doubt that we'll be seeing higher resolution models from Sony that can use Maxxum/Mount lenses, too (and I have zero doubt we'll be seeing some new lenses announced, too).

BTW, here are some good articles on the KM 7D that you may want to read through by Mike Johnston (a professinal photographer and writer):

He was so impressed with his 7D that he devotedsome of hisweekly Sunday Morning Photographer articles to it.

Catch the Rave!

The Tale told by Two Pictures

Is your existing Minolta a Maxxum or Dynax Model? If so, and you have an investment in lenses for it already, then a KM DSLR would be the obvious choice, since you could use them.

If not, then that opens up your choices. But, keep in mind that you'd have anti-shake with every lens going with a KM DSLR model, and stabilized lenses from other manufacturers add cost. All lenses become stabilized (even bright primes) with Konica Minolta's in body anti-shake system.

I got a KM DSLR myself (KM 5D), and I wouldn't trade it for another model for my needs.

Old Mar 2, 2006, 7:52 AM   #10
Administrator

P.S.

A news story from last month (and you don't launch new models with the intent to capture 25% of the DLSR market without good lens availability). You'll see new lenses (and they're are lots of them already in the market in this mount).

Sony Aims For Quarter Share of DSLR Market

Following Konica Minolta Holding Inc.'s announcement of withdrawal from the arena of the imaging business and an agreement to transfer Konica Minolta's assets related to R&D as well as manufacturing of DSLRs to Sony Corp., an official of Sony said on Jan. 20 it would aim for at least a quarter of share in the DSLR camera market in a few years, reports PEN News Weekly.

Sony commands the second-largest share of the digicam market after Canon, but its operations have been focused mainly on compact models, missing lucrative DSLRs and interchangeable lenses to warrant a push. Canon and Nikon dominate the DSLR market with a combined market share of nearly 90 percent.

Through acquisition of the right to use the Konica Minolta's Alpha/Maxxum mount system, access to manufacturing/designing technology and R&D/manufacturing assets (though Konica Minolta retains its patents), Sony plans a big push to high-end digicam market including DSLRs, to chip away at Canon's dominant market position, says PEN News Weekly.

Yutaka Nakagawa, president of Sony's digital imaging business group, told reporters that the company "will target for at least 20-25 percent of the world digicam market, and even a higher share as far as DSLRs are concerned, by making the most of its advantage," ie., its capability to make key devices such as CCDs, lenses and LCDs. He continued: "Because there are only a few players in the DSLR market, we would like to grab an even bigger market share. We wish to nurture our DSLR segment to a business that accounts for more than 20 percent of our total revenue from digicam sales in the near future."

Sony plans to roll out its first high-end DSLR model jointly developed with Konica Minolta this summer. The company plans to entrust manufacture of its DSLRs to Konica Minolta's Malaysian company through capital participation. A certain number of designers and engineers may be transferred from Konica Minolta to Sony, but details are not disclosed, says PEN News Weekly. (Source: Photo Marketing Association's Newsline International)