Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 3, 2006, 8:40 PM   #1

Hi - my Sony MiniDV cam recently died and I've been looking around at very compact video cameras that shoot 640x480 or 800x600 (haven't found the latter) video for spontaneous footage of our two toddlers and other family occasions.¬* I'll never do serious editing, and perhaps only selecting clips to email around, etc.¬* Since I've been disappointed with what I've come across in the video camera market, thought I'd try my luck trying to find a camera that does a great job with VGA video.So, I just received the Sanyo Xacti VPC-C6 today from Amazon, and needless to say it's going back on the next UPS pickup as the stills were of horrible quality in anything other than bright daylight, and the video function (VGA) was satisfactory, but also not-so-great at indoor lighting levels at night.¬* My take-away is that one could easily get a very good digital camera that takes great photos, but also has a video function (VGA) that equals or betters the performance of the Xacti.¬* I'd really love a 2-in-one as I'll never carry around two devices (I currently use the Canon Powershot S410 for stills, which does a very nice job in a compact package).So..... while lots of the current camera models have VGA at 30fps or better, my sense from doing a little research is that the quality is fairly poor with most of them.¬* are there any models that stand out from the crowd on video quality??¬* Thanks for any thoughts and for putting up with a rambling message...
silverlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 3, 2006, 9:56 PM   #2

I think the Canon S2 is probably the best of the lot. It has a stabilized 12X optical lens that you can zoom during recording. It also has wind buffered stereo mics. It isn't a pocket camera though.

Stabilization is not only good for stabilizing movies and long telephoto shots, but it gives you better low light capability at wider lens settings. Stabilization doesn't help for subject motion though.

For toddlers you might consider the Fuji S9000 for stills indoors when you don't want to use the flash and outdoor shots in the shade where the toddlers are moving. It isn't stabilized but does take decent shots at higher ISO, which boosts the shutter speed and helps with subject movement. The high ISO doesn't help with movies though. It isn't small either.

They might both fit in your "medium" catagory.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2006, 10:08 PM   #3

Thank you for the feedback, and very helpful!I've noticed in some of the other posts that many users observed fairly good video in the Kodak¬* V550, and when I looked on the Kodak website, noticed that a new model V603 is being released later this month.¬* Wonder if this would have a good quality video (not sure of the data rate given the Mpeg4 QT compression), as the camera is very compact.
silverlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2006, 11:09 PM   #4

I've got the S2.. bought it because of my toddlers too... I've been very pleased with the video quality and ediiting capabilites.. I use it in combination with my new minidv cam from Sony.. combing video.. from both.. and photos from both onto dvd.
vwmom is offline   Reply With Quote