Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 9, 2006, 2:00 AM   #11

Action shot.. son breakdancing on floor.
Attached Images

vwmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2006, 10:28 AM   #12

Thank you to all who've taken the time to respond! I truly appreciate the education on digital cameras i am getting. And i love all of your input & experience w/your own cameras! A thousand thanks!
Tinkerbell 2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2006, 11:26 AM   #13

If you really want just a point and shoot cam with a large zoom I would prefer
the Canon IS2 (or even 3 which is coming in May) or the new Panasonic F7. Great results in "auto" can be promised...
michael1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2006, 7:34 PM   #14

HilaryL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2006, 8:54 PM   #15

ok on the s2is......how do your remember to pop up the flash??? that is my only worry with it. with kids i fear it would be a bit of a pain to have to remember that? what is your expereince?
Old Mar 9, 2006, 10:35 PM   #16

Well ....

The flash won't work if you don't put it up though.

That was one of the two most annoying things I found with the S2 IS, and the other one is that the IS does not always work well at extreme zoom. You should also be aware that the LCD Screen is only 1.8 inches diagonally, so it's a bit small for the eyes. But it is a great overall camera, and the movie mode on the S2 is the best in its class, though with time restrictions.

The FZ7 - I am thinking of buying that as well. Being 6 MP, with a 2.5 inch LCD and the industry leading double O.I.S, it really eliminates the handshake factor and allows you to capture fast moving objects well.

ELDDJOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2006, 11:02 AM   #17

Let's face it, an ultra zoom camera has more features and more concerns to deal with than your average point and shoot 3X optical zoom camera. So IMHO and experience, the best thing you can really do is to learn all the features of your personal camera, and get very used to/experienced with it. Then you won't find yourself wasting time and missing shots.

Because of what has been posted thus far, I am assuming that you want both IS and 12X optical zoom. If you shoot a lot of indoor or low light level photos then the Pansonic FZ-7 should be looked at closely. The Canon S-3 and the Sony H-2 will not be available for another 30 to 90 days. However, this, plus the introduction of the FZ-7,have caused the Canon S-2 and SonyH-1 and FZ-5 to fall in price, making them very attractive buys.

As a point of interest, not even using the burst mode, with my Kodak P-850 in the Proram Mode I was able to shoot three consecutive photos in less than 4 seconds. This might just be an issue of really learning your present camera. I teach digital camera courses for our local Community College, and for our state university, and I can tell you that many camera users feel a great deal more comfortable and confident with their cameras after completing the basic 10 hour "Introduction to Digital Cameras" course.

So whether you continue with your Kodak P-850, or buy another camera, you will have to use that camera to get really proficient, comfortable, and confident with the camera. Unfortunately there are very few magic bullets out there.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2006, 8:01 PM   #18

Hi mountainclimber!!

You teach this stuff! wow! i am impressed with that. And VERY glad to get your input. My shots are mostly both indoor & out. And as i have already said of a fast moving 3 yr old! But i totally agree w/you about getting used to my camera whatever i choose (Kodak is back at store already b/c i was almost out of decision time). I also need to learn alot of lingo that i do not know. I REALLY enjoy taking photos but am NO pro by any means. I get some great shots but they're just that a great shot. Nothing incredible or that took great skill.

On these new models you are talking about coming out the canon s3is, the panasonic z-7 & the sony h2 is there any benefit for me to wait on their arrivle? Is?are there to be any differences in models out now vs these to come? And really i should say it more like this: are there any differences someone on my low level would benefit from vs the older models which will be cheaper now? i want sharp clear photos w/a camera with 12x zoom (we travel some & i just dont want 2 cameras) that can quickly go from shot to shot so i dont miss something crucial like i did at Disney when i just took her w/whatever character & before the camera could catch up so to speak the next shot of her kissing or hugging someone bye i had sadly missed.

I am a member of kodaks web site as well & they sent me the release of a new kodak in their z series the z 612 or something like that. the only feature i could understand actually that was different was a feature that in the camera fixed your photos. For example if the photo were to have shadows on faces you coudl i guess the term is enhance it inside the camera to really lessen the shadows & make your photo very nice.
Old Mar 10, 2006, 8:57 PM   #19

Tinkerbell-

Thanks for your post. Please understand that the new models that will soon come to market do not, IMHO, include huge forward moving technology advances that would make them "have to have" cameras. The HUGE advantage that they will create is that they will drive down the existing market prices of the Canon S-2 IS, the Sony H-1 IS, and the Panasonic FZ-5 IS. and these perhaps are the cameras that you should be looking at when considering your next camera.

We already know that you must have IS and 12X optical zoom. We also know that you need a good burst mode or at the very least rapid shooting of photos in the automatic mode. It also sounds as if you are NOT into any post processing of your photos, using software. We also know that you have some qualms about the Canon S-2 IS because you have to decide whento raise or not raise the built-in flash unit. Am I correct thus far?

Now, let me ask why you feel that IS is a must have requirement? Why wouldn't 10X optical zoom work just as well for you as 12X optical zoom. When you owned the Kodak P-850 how many photos did you really take at the full 12X optical zoom setting? Not manyI would guess. The best zooming is done with your feet. By knowing the answers to these questions, perhaps we can both save you some money and arrive at an IDEAL camera for you.

I apologize if by making this statement, that I might hurt your feelings, but, by taking a good basic camera course you would know a whole lot more about your potentially new camera and have a great deal more confidence. How about a good book? Are you willing to do some reading and learning?

Do me a favor, please? Tell me more than most of your photos are of your active three year old. I have raised eight children myself, so I know the problems, but somehow we have to get a bit more info. How many flash or low light level photos do you take? Do you make prints larger than 4" X 6" prints? Do you ever take photos of large groups such as family reunion events and the like? Are people more important in your photos than landscapes?

I'll look forward to hearing from you and helping you more, Twinklebell.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2006, 11:39 PM   #20

Hello Mtclimber! And thank you in advance for your input! and first of all let me commend you on raising 8 children. I can not imagine that myself but i woudl bet it was pure joy! well at least mostly joy! i just love kids & if money were no object i'd have 4 or 5!

Yes i'd venture to guess 90% of my photos on a daily/weekly basis are of my child. I went through alot from my dinosaur camera & it appears i do do about half indoors w/flash & half outdoors w/its auto flash w/red eye reduction on.

I do at times make 5x7's but nothing larger so far. I do a good deal of group shots at family functions or group shots of her & her friends lets say at the park or where ever. Most of my shots are of people w/the exception of 2-3 times per year when we go on a vacation or the times we go camping. then i do take scenery shots. And on our trip to disney (when i had the P850) i did use the zoom alot so i do want the 12x zoom. it came in quite handy actually. i feel like IS is something i do need b/c it woudl cut down on blurred shots. but i am open to anything you want to offer on non IS cameras that might be better.

The canon is not out of the question. i was just concerned about that manual flash. i am afraid i might forget to put it up. but i might really just get used to just popping it up when i was turning it on. i was a bit also concerned about the small viewing screen it had. but that too would be something i'd have to over look if all the other features just made it too perfect for me.

And yes i am more than willing to read any books you suggest. I watn to educate myself in this dept so i can not only make the right choice but so i know how to make the best use of my camera once i choose one.

I also contacted kodak about a soon to be released z 612 & they said compared to the time between shots of the p850 it would be only 1.2 sec between shots vs almost 2.0 sec of the p850 so i am looking into this camera as well but since it is not out yet its hard to know how it will perform. another web site similar to this one talks alot about it but since i understand so little i've got to get more educated first.

as far as post editing......actually hadnt thought of it! sounds bad but since i dont have one as of yet i had not even gotten into all the things i can do w/the photos once they're in my computer. as it is now the photos i took at disney w/teh p850 got saved (at my local sams club) onto a disk from the memory card i put the disk into my computer to attempt to email them to friens & only some of them transfered from that disk. the ones that are there i see in "my picutures' but cant get them emailed in their nice little folders so people can have them in their emails w/o them taking up a lot of space. so far cant get em out! i have ALOT to learn!

So anything you watn to throw my way i'll take it! and you dont have to worry w/hurting my feelings w/anything u say! i just appreciat your time.