Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 4, 2006, 11:53 AM   #1

Hello to everyone! i have been navigating this site for a few weeks now & it appears most of you are experts!!! So glad i found this web site.

I have just purchased a Kodak P850 & am about to return it. It is my first ever digital camera & i love love love alot of things about it but alot of things i am not used to using or just simply dont work. this camera is on the Best Cameras page & i reserched it there before i bought. BUt because i am no pro or expert alot of the wording i dont get so in plain english i need to know what i am doing wrong with it & what camera i need please. i have looked into the konica minolta dimage z6 as well or the canon s2is or even the panasonic lumix dmc fz5k and lastly i have been reading about the new Kodak z612 (i think) that was on this site & found more info by contacting Kodak, its not due out though till next month but its on my check into list since at this point i am back to square one.

I want a camera w/12x zoom & a minimum of 5 pixels. i am not partial to any brand i just do not want to spend more than 500.00. as far as what batterys it runs off of well i dont have a preference b/c i am not versed in that dept. yet. i dont know if one has more photos per charge over another &/or how long one lasts iin the long run over another. also one w/a low repair track record too would be nice. I checked at consumer reports magazine & their reviews even in current magazines are out dated sometimes. but they like sony, panasonic,nikon as far as repair history.

We just got back from a wks trip to Disney world w/my 3 yr old. Problem number one is the time it takes from one shot to the next shot. I'd take a shot of her & some character & it took what felt like forever for me to be able to take another shot so i missed photos i really wanted. it'd snap the photo wait, show the photo & wait somoe more & then i could take another. I had it on Auto setting & flash came on almost every time. i never manually turned it off to test it that way because well i need it fast in all settings.

Also when you hit the button to take a photo it has a delay which also ment i lost photos or she had moved before i got the shot.

this camera also has settings that i could not get to wk as simply as it seemed to be. i would set the camera for example on the setting for distant scenery at night & the photo woudl not come out, very dark. so i tryed it on auto, same thing. I was desperatly trying to capture the cinderella castle at night. it is very lit up & i thought i should be able to get this shot, but no luck.

can anyone tell me which camera will capture my active child before she moves & one that will also have less time between shots so i can capture more shots at once.

And ANY other advice is also welcome! i am such a newbie on this & way out of my comfort zone w/this purchase.
Tinkerbell 2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 5, 2006, 3:46 AM   #2

Tinkerbell

I can't comment on other cameras but I can on the one I own - the Panasonic FZ5.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_reviews/fz5.html

It's got a 12x zoom and 5 megapixels. The lens is image stabilised, meaning you will be able to leave the shutter open for longer than normal and still get sharp shots - perfect for night scenes. The shutter lag is minimal and the turnaround time between photos is small, meaning you won't miss those crucial shots. It's got all of the normal scene modes, including NIGHT, and manual control as well, so when you get a bit more knowledge you can set the controls yourself, giving you more control over the final scene. You can obviously stick with the scene modes if you want, though.

In short, a great camera and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.
frenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2006, 1:49 PM   #3

Thank you frenchy!! i appreciate your time:>
Tinkerbell 2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2006, 8:36 PM   #4

i have an FZ20. it's 5Mp, with 12x optical zoom, and is very much like the FZ5 Frenchy mentioned, but with the option of manual focus and a couple of other features. either one will give you excellent picture quality, and i'm pretty sure either one can be had for about $450 or less.

all digital cameras have some shutter lag. the trick is to prefocus by half-pressing the shutter button. once you've done that, and locked in the focus, the FZ's will take the shot in less than a half-second. the FZ20, with a fast memory card, will take shots at2 per second until you fill up the memory, or you can shoot in burst mode and capture 3 or 4 images in one second for really fast moving subjects.

be aware, though, that the FZ's - like most "superzoom" cameras - are not at their best indoors. they're optimized for outdoor, daylight photography, and for that, they work amazingly well, but indoors, they struggle a bit, as do most of that type. using the flash also dramatically increases the delay between shots. fortunately, the FZ's have very "bright" lenses, with a wide aperture, which makes them a little better for low-light work than many other superzooms. the FZ's do use a proprietary battery, but spares are cheap on ebay, and the one that comes with the camera will usually give you about 200-240 shots on a charge, depending on how much flash you use.

as far as quality, i've had my FZ20 since November of 2004, and it hasn't hiccuped once. i suspect Panasonic's quality record is as good as any of them.

all that said, if you plan to use the camera mostly for indoor, flash photos and snapshots of the kids, you might be just as well off with something a with a bit less zoom... you don't need 12x to take shots across the living room, andthere are a lot of pocket-sized cameras available with 5-7Mp, that offer pretty decent indoor performance, but aren't quite as much fun outdoors, because they don't have the long zoom. if you really want the 12x, there aren't all that many to choose from, and i can recommend the FZ5 or FZ20 completely. (there is an FZ30, with 8Mp and 12x, but it's a bit more than $500...)

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2006, 9:32 PM   #5

There is probably nothing wrong with your present camera. I owned a few different models before I decided to really learn how to use the controls and features that were available. This site is helpful and the owners manual will also be good reading material. Spend some time learning about digital cameras and their characteristics will be beneficial. I am just starting to learn about my camera after lots of reading and 1000 or so shots. C.W.
dwtbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2006, 1:55 AM   #6

I have the Canon S2 IS and absolutly adore it. I also have a 2 1/2 yr old and a 4 yr old, so am in the same boat.

There are mutiple threads about what I love soo much about this camera, and there are probably people getting sick of me..lol

It's FAST.. very fast.. quick startup.. fast continous, etc.

It has a swivel / flip lcd.. beinga single Mom. I'm out lots with my sons alone, so it's nice to be able to turn it in my hand or on a tripod and still be able to see the screen. It's awesome too being stuck at the back of a Chirstmas concert or whatever and being able to life the camera above my view to get a great shot.

The video on this camera is AMAZING. I have a camcorder too.. but don't always have it with me. The clips I have are crisp and beautiful sounding.

Zoom.. awesome.

Takes great kid 'action' shots. Here's an example of the speed.

Attached Images

vwmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2006, 1:57 AM   #7

Attached Images

Old Mar 9, 2006, 1:57 AM   #8

Attached Images

Old Mar 9, 2006, 1:59 AM   #9

The S2 also has 'my colors'.. a feature not found on many models.. lets you take these type of photos right from the camera.. Blk wht, sepia, various color highlights.. etc.

Attached Images

Old Mar 9, 2006, 2:00 AM   #10

And I LOOOOOVEEEE the colors this camera produces right out of the box.

Attached Images