Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 5, 2006, 8:40 AM   #11

you are correct, and apparently looked up my other post ... I will be taking pictures of flyball, but also of other things such as portraits of dogs that are groomed in my shop. That said, I really cannot afford the likes of Nikon 50 and 70's that a professional photographer suggested I buy.I was hoping that maybe the H1 would be usable for action shots. Doesn't sound like you think so ... I appreciate all the comments, even the arguments ... at least it is on topic ...

minnieusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2006, 9:34 AM   #12

The H1 is useable for action shots...might not be the best tool, but with care it will work. I'm not sure what flyball is, but the camera should do just finesince itsoutdoors. Outdoors, you should have plenty of light for the camera to select a fast enough shutter speed to stop action. Shooting in continous burst mode, you should be able to capture some keepers.

Indoors, will be a bit tougher, epecially action shots. Without good high ISO performance (800 and up), action photos will be tough to pull off. Portaits are possible, but you will have to use the flash, which can sometimes be harsh and creat unpleasant shadows. By diffusing the flash, the harshness can be reduced.

The superzoom class of cameras on a whole are going to struggle a bit indoors and in low light situations.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2006, 10:39 AM   #13

Rinnie-

Many thanks for coming to the rescue. Minnie really needs a high ISO camera. I have had my Fuji F-10 for over a year and it has been excellent. In late April or May we will see the F-30 model hit the market and that doubles the 1600 max ISO on the F-10 to 3200 max ISO on the F-30. The F-30 also has a, so called, smart flash as a new feature as well, if you can use flash in Flyball.

If you can wait that long, the F-30 would most probably be your best best.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2006, 11:04 AM   #14

I will start searching for the F10 today ... I searched www.mysimon.com and was surprised to see it had a 2.5 lcd which I like, and was reasonable ... my sports action shots will be outside. Flyball is racing dogs over a 51 ft course where they jump over 4 hurdles, hit a box at the end of the 51 ft which releases a ball; dog then returns back over 4 hurdles with ball in mouth over the finish line. 4 dogs on ateam. great fun for dog and owner. everyone has been extremely helpful. thanks
Old Mar 5, 2006, 3:19 PM   #15

I have owned the H1 since last July and am very happy with the camera. I have found that it does an excellent job in most lighting situations for a camera of its class and the super long lens is a big plus. I have owned several digital cameras and this one is by far the best I have owned. I have found the AA batteries to be handy. I simply keep an extra set (only $9.00 per set) charged at all times and throw them into my camera bag when I go out on a camera excursion.

I frequently take pictures of sporting events and have found that this camera does a superb job when outdoors. Unfortunately, indoor sports photography is the one area that it can't handle. I have a dSLR for those situations.

I would highly recommend this camera and it can now be purchased for under $350 online.

Good luck
madschnapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2006, 6:26 PM   #16

I just came back from shopping ... could not find the fuji 10 in any store in Phoenix, AZ. Circuit city had the sony dschi for 399. with a 256 mb memory card. can't find it cheaper than that around town. Because I just like the looks of the dschi that is what I will buy. Why does the advertisement say 1 g recommended. what would take up all that space ... new question !!!
Old Mar 5, 2006, 6:30 PM   #17

Minnie-

You really don't need it. It is just a marketing strategy to sell high capacity chips. Please don't be taken in by the advertising.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2006, 7:44 PM   #18

I use a 256 card and get about 100 pictures. That will be enough to get started but you will want to upgrade to a bigger card some time in the future for traveling. The 1 gig will be my next buy since we are going to Washington, D.C. this week. You can relly take a lot of pics when you go someplace with a lot of photo opportunities. C.W.
dwtbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2006, 8:03 AM   #19

Ok, I bought the H1 ... to those of you that have this camera, don't you find the dial confusing on what setting to put it on, or do you just keep it on the camera icon. Does it really make a difference. I haven't had a chance to take action shots with it using the setting that looks like a golf swing but I did take a picture of my dogs playing with it set of the camera icon, and the pictures were blurry. Thats not a great beginning. 2nd question here, with this dial needing to be spun around constantly to get the right setting, doesn't it seem like that this is something that is going to go bad down the line mechanical wise. I did not get the extended warranty, which I wish I had ...
Old Mar 9, 2006, 10:47 AM   #20

I've attached a photo of my dog running full out towards me. It stopped action with two feet off the ground ... This may work for me after all ... I was using the golf swing setting.
Attached Images